Whats cars can get smoked with a Supercharged Golf VR6?

I need an indication of how powerful a supercharged vr6 is. I know the power goes up around 240bhp. Standard VR6's are fast as it. For example a standard VR6 can cause a few problems for Civic Type R drivers even though they have 200bhp! So am i right in saying that....a supercharged vr6 can be put up against cars that are pushing around say......260/270 bhp???? Any one got any experience or opinions on what cars they have smoked in there s/c vr's. One car on my mind is the BMW M3's. The ones you get on the L-R plates.

An M3 will leave a VR6 SC standing.

I've eaten mildy modded Scoobies for breakfast - and this is at Santa Pod - so I can 100% say it was a genuine race not some street encounter. They get off the line OK but I soon catch up and over take.

If you go SC'd get ready to have your nose put out of joint by seemingly ordinary cars. I borrowed a modded Nissan 200SX and it was mush faster than my VR.

Jules

soory mate uve lost me! How do you expect the old M3's to destroy a s/c vr6 at the lights. That doesnt make sense. I know someone who has a BMW M3 on a 97 plate. Its got schnitzer upgrades. He got pissed all over by a scooby. He was got gob smaked. How can you justify s/c vr6's being pissed all over by normal cars?

Are we talking about the OLD M3's OR the NEW M3's?? Im actually talking about the old M3's! A supercharged VR6 is soo much lighter compared to an BMW M3. The M3 boasts more BHP, but the golfs are much lighter. For example on topgear the lamboghini mercialgo was raced against the pegani zonda. The lambo had more BHP, but the zonda was much lighter. Who won. The Zonda did. The lambo was destroyed. So your tellin me........a 2.8 V6 "supercharged" wouldnt stand a chance against a 3.2 V6. C'mon give the vw a bita credit. If i can beat a BMW 328i (197bhp) in my standard vr6 auto, im sure s/c vr6 can compete with an M3

An M3 is in a different league to a 328i. My mate happens to have an L plate M3 and it is blazin' fast. It is not how much "peak" power that is available but the spread of power accross the rev range. The superchargers used on the VR6's don't really start to boost to 3000+ revs. Also, getting 240BHP onto the tarmac through the front wheels is hard...I know as my old S1 RST was pushing close to that. The RWD M3 has no trouble whatsoever deploying it's full power to the road.

soory mate uve lost me! How do you expect the old M3's to destroy a s/c vr6 at the lights. That doesnt make sense. I know someone who has a BMW M3 on a 97 plate. Its got schnitzer upgrades. He got pissed all over by a scooby. He was got gob smaked. How can you justify s/c vr6's being pissed all over by normal cars?

The scooby prob had over 300bhp.

Ok - lets start at the beginning.

What power is the M3 you are talking about?

[ Edited Fri Jan 23 2004' date= 03:51PM ]

ah i see wat u mean mate. makes sense now. So is it really worth forking out £2500+vat to get the car supercharged???. As mentioned i have a auto. Nik saran dont recommend anything above 250bhp on this cars, cos it could risk blowing the gear box. Dam i kinda stuck. I was hoping to make it really slick looking and kinda fast. I guess i dont wanna get rid of it cos the leathers inside are immaculate, hardly any creases in the back. Thats whats stopping me. I know it sounds sad, but i dont think i'll come across a vr6 again as immaculate as my current one

Is it worth it? Well it depends. If can afford it and you want to make your current VR more powerful and pull much harder than it does as standard, then yes. If you want to race M3s and top-spec Scoobys off the lights, then no.

Anyone who wants the former should be encouraged, as it's best to make the most of a wonderful engine. :) Anyone who wants the latter should be banned. ~:(

Guest couzens

For the Golf Vr6, I think it is fast enough. The only thing really worth doing is giving it that bottom end torque with the VSR manifold and rechip. Otherwise I wouldn't go down the sc route, especially with the z-engineering ones that don't kick in until high up the rev scale = rotatry aren't they? If you could fit a sc like the cooper S; bottom end torque that would be better.

The problem with the Golf is the weight, they are too heavy for serious racing and weight is everything

Ok - here's my ten pence.

Yes a s/c VR6 can be made to go pretty quick if you're prepared to throw lots of money at it (like the previous owner of my car did.)

At the end of the day, the VR6 is FWD and the chassis was only really designed to take 174bhp from the factory and it is a relatively heavy car. Once you get over 220bhp, then things get interesting. My car pushes out over 300bhp / 280lbft and even with the Racelogic traction control, I can't really boot it till I'm in 3rd - just compare my times in the PVW Hall of Fame to some of the lower powered cars and you'll see what I mean.

Also, the s/c doesn't go well with the auto box due to the peaky power delivery - you're much better off with a VSR.

If all your interested in is traffic light action - then look elsewhere as FWD is always going to lose against RWD or 4WD. Having said that, have you seen the supercharger conversion for the R32! :D !amazed

quote Amit - where did you get the 'elton john' style gear knob from?. (no offense.......i just thought of him, as soon i saw it. Please forgive me.

Amit, if I was you I wouldn't worry about blowing people away at the lights, with that automatic gear knob looking like a 'TNT Detonator', you'll be abe to blow up all the cars round you at the lights (including the fastest Scoobies and M3s that exist on the planet). You'll be the quickest from the lights everytime. You want to look into buying TNT, not a Supercharger. No offence Grandad! Please forgive me. TOOSHAY!!!:P:D;)

[ Edited Sat Jan 24 2004, 01:50PM ]

goin back to the M3 discussion,

i'd have thought a SC'd vr6 could just about keep up with an E36 M3.

and a standard vr6 could keep up with an E30 M3 (not as fast as most people think!)

having said that, nothing you do to a vr6 will enable it to keep up with a new shape M3 (E4? model)

Spoke to nik saran today. The guy said autos are sometimes lazy, but can be superchagerd with a 280bhp STAGE 2 KIT!!! They have s/c a few autos and havent had any complaints. Anything beyond 280bhp for the gearbox will kill it. Im happy with that. I wanted to get as close as possible to the 300bhp mark.

As mentioned i have a auto. Nik saran dont recommend anything above 250bhp on this cars, cos it could risk blowing the gear box.

I have a s/c VR with VSR, cams etc with auto box which is coping so far!

I think the VR is useless pulling of from traffic lights against M3's but my mate has a scooby which pulls away at the start then the VR comes into its own at 70 mph and I'll fly past!

Mr2 Turbo's, Type R's & standard scooby's are a waste of time, Porsches are much more of a challenge!

finally there is someone out there with an auto!! tell me onething.....does your car feel jerky when you drive it first thing in the morning??? My gearshifts have been rather unsmooth. The engine always seem to over rev slightly when it changes gear. So go on then......whats it like driving an supercharged vr6 auto. gimme details!! whats the top speed you got out if it? Whats the pickup on the car before the supercharger kicks in? I take it the s/c kick around 3000 rpm???

U can understand where im coming from when i say... Idont wanna spend the money on the supercharging, only to realise afterwards my cars a ticking bomb when i put my foot down. hmmmm.....just had a really wierd image in my mind. A fireball shooting down the A4/M4!!!

i think you're goin the wrong way with sc'ing. i'd be all for it if it helped low down grunt, but it doesn't.

i reckon you should get a schrik vsr fro starters, and if you'd had a manual i'd have said get a box rebuild with lower ratio's and a ATB...don't know how you can improve an auto!

1) A turbo 'kicks in', a supercharger doesn't - the power gradually increases in proportion to the engine speed.

2) Unless the rest of your car is in PERFECT condition don't supercharge it. It's probably not a good idea to supercharge an auto anyway - and one with problems will just go BANG!

It strikes me you're rushing into all this a bit. Run the car for a while so you can iron out any problems and really get a feel for what it's like and what you want to do with it.