ive had my vr6 4 about 5 months now and its fairly standard jus got adjustable koni 40mm setup on it but i find that my car is really twitchy and somewhat unsettled on the road at speed, it feels like the car cud let go from the road at any moment sometimes n scares the shit out ov me tbh! ive checked my tyre wear and the front left is abit more worn on the inside, im gettin new tyres n tracking done today but im confident that this isnt the whoel problem. is it a collection of bushes that need sorting? or is my camber all wrong from the previous owner fitting the konis?? i duno if its jus vr6s in general but lifiting off throttle too soon sumtimes kicks the backend out nasty!!

isnt that called lift off oversteer ? i used to get that in my 1.9 205 GTI normally in the rain when i was least expecting it (not going fast) i think its a lot of older front wheel drive cars suffer from it, but every car has its own handling characteristics not all of them particularly desirable. .......... :) it does sound to me like the dampers are set too high which would make it twitchier if theres such a word !

when you fitted the suspension did you do cast & camber when you got the tracking done??? If not you are a big step in the stup issue direction. spend the money on a propper digital one...

After that the bushes will make it feel a little wooly/loose if you like but it can still be felt if you know what you're looking at.

The other and final thing is to ensure you have the same tyres on each corner with tread, balanced and they have the correct pressure

After that then you need to start looking at other areas like steering rack etc etc.

Otherwise you ar trying to take a corner to fast and will end up in a hedge :)

Hope it helps

• 2 weeks later...

Always get the tracking and camber done after fitting lowered suspension - I would say this is your problem in one. Your car should be planted to the road. Good luck sorting it out mate.

Another thing that will also improve your handling is when you get new tyres go for BF goodrich g-force profilers - I have tried a huge number of top brands including Goodyear F1's , and so far the BF's are miles ahead of the rest. You get so much feedback and you can throw it into the corners with a lot of confidence. Cheaper than F1's but far better. I only have standard 15" wheels with 205 width tyres (don't fit 195's these are too narrow), and have the 35-45mm gmax lowering kit.