Had the car back for a week now and noticed that the brakes are terrible bordering on dangerous! It's totally impossible to lock the wheels no matter how hard you stamp on the pedal (ABS disconnected, I don't like it) The discs are fine and the pads have loads of material left. The brake fluid is up to the correct level also. People have said that the pads could have glazed but I'm not sure what is meant by this? If they have glazed are they scrap? The pads are Pagid fast road/ track.

I need to get them sorted but I don't know what to do!

As mentioned 2 things to check... 1st is make sure you are bled and have good fluid and levels...

After that if you have just had both/or discs and pads replaced remember you need to bed them in so if you have cooked 'em they'll be pants with a capital P and you will be replacing them again...

ABS should have no effect on how good your brakes work. It's simply a way to stop the wheels locking, it doesn't provide any extra force.

I've had 3 Vento VR6s and none have had ABS, I prefer it like that, far more control when you need it. Driven my other cars on track and they were hopeless with ABS pumping away when it wasn't needed.

The car has been in my brother possession for the last year, nothing has been modified in the times he's had it. The brakes are ATE Power discs and Pagid Fast road/track pads.

• 3 weeks later...

I too dislike the abs. Its nice when braking hard from over a 100mph because you can just slam the pedal to the floor and it does the rest for you but when slowing down at lower speeds seems to realy delay my braking distance.

As mensioned my ABS light has came one which happened in the snow. Im thinking thats its the same fault with the ECU pins but i dont realy want to fix it.

Im wondering if any damage will be caused buy contining to use my car like this or should i replum the brake system with parts from a mk3 without abs?

Also has anyone thought about putting a switch in the system somwhere so the ABS can be turned on or off. Prehaps where the fuse is??

you must be very carefull when messing with the abs it has a electic brake force distributer ie load valve ifyou just go pulling fuses you could end up going backwards as the rear wheels would lock very easly . even though the abs light is on this still works i think if the abs light flashes then this is also up the creak and is very bad . when removing abs a load valve should be fitted like on a mk2 golf

Ha Ha. Funny you should say that. Ive had my rear brakes lock before the fronts did which ended up in some high speed sidways action. Which was fun but abit lairy. This has happend when the ABS light is on and not flickering and i havent pulled a fuse or anythink.

Are you talking about the load valve on the rear axal. My Mk3 has one but doesnt have any eletric wiring or plugs on it.

I havent owned or been under a MK2. It might be easyer to just fix my ABS but if its not too exspensive or complicated to make it safe to use without ABS then i would like to do so.

This MK2 load valve your on about. Can this in plumbed into my ABS sytem or would it requir the removaly of my pump and ECU and replumbing it that way.

Cheers for the help

Yer sorry mate your right. Wasn't thinking strate when i wrote that

I think the reason the backs locked on mine before the front was the fact i had drilled discs, green stuff pads and goodyear hoses on the back but compleaty standard on the front (waiting for pads to wear out and just plane lazy)

If thats the case just shows how much better all that stuff inproves the brakes.

After I fitted the fronts I'll lock them again to find out ifs its my ABS or not

I'd say that's exactly the reason the rears locked, the standard brakes are pretty much hopeless and you had a shit hot system on the rear!

BTW, running you car with more braking force at the rear is illegal and whilst it'd be difficult for a copper to spot it'll certainly fail an MOT.

my abs hasnt worked for ages on the whole its np it does make it a bit lively at speed though lol

mk3 vr6s are a touch overbraked on the rear as standerd )the abs masks this) it means the rears will lock up before the fronts over about 30 mph as the speed increaeses this gets more pronounced due to weight transfer im using tarox fast road pads which reduce fade a fair bit but imho even stock brakes (288mm) are decent theyr alot better than some supposed performance cars

Yep MK3 brakes are shit hot.

Doesnt matter how fast your going even 100 - 110mph + if you slam them on there going to lock.

Seems silly the little tiny brakes at the back would lock before the big fuckers at the front.

I realy carnt understand why VW would make it like that but there you go.

Ive done it once now and learnt so it shouldn't be happing again (he says :) )

So hows everyone getting though there MOTs with out any ABS???