Should I be shot?

TT is a great car dont get me wrong , but unless you get the 3.2 its pretty boring . 1st and 2nd deliers nice feelings , after that its dead as a doormat mostly due to the lack of power pushed thur 4wd then pushing a heavy car :) imo keep the VR . interior and looks of the TT stunning i must admit . :)

I know how you're feeling - you do get used to the power of the VR after a while and start wanting for more. Then you look into the costs of extracting more power and it's hard to justify the expense. Schricks, cams, exhausts etc. just don't give enough of an increase and superchargers can be major hassle, taking your car off the road for ages and hitting you with a lot of unexpected costs.

The Audi TT was the Corrado's successor in all but name, so it is a logical upgrade, but be warned - the 1.8T engine sounds and feels positively soul-less after a howling VR. And 225BHP ain't that much more than what you've got already. They can be chipped to 270-280BHP, but above that you are once again talking about major expense...

If I was you, I'd hold on to your 'rado for another couple of years, save up and get the TT 3.2 . This is THE engine to have, and 3.2s are the only TTs with any rarity value.

The A3 3.2 is worth a look as well. And the Golf R32, obviously!

Guys guys, I know what 20vt's sound like! I've been around running a dub club long enuf to know! (h) I know they sound like a diesel on start up and tbh nothing, cept the new RS4, matches the 12v VR6 for noise!

VR6MadMike, I dont like BMW's. They've just got that persona around them. And Im a dub nut, so its gotta be VAG. ;)

NiceVR6, good point. I'd not considered the 3.2, figured they might still be too new and hence too pricey, will look into them as an option for sure.

Antera309, you bring up a good point re power. As ive said already, power isnt a hude issue for me, but I'd deffo spend £500 extra to get a 225 chipped up to 265bhp/285ftlb. That would surely make the TT a seriously fast car?!

Your right as well tho, I may just end up keeping the car for another couple years yet. Question then is tho, do I get the charger, or put the £2500+ in a savings account to help buy the TT if/when I sell the VR.....?

I like to see a nice example of an older car on the road and i have more respect and would give them more street cred than all the other popular sports cars that everyone else seems to jump on the band wagon and buy i.e mk4 golf, tt's.

Well the cheapest 3.2 TT i can find is £14k.

So if you have that sort of cash then its totally up to yourself.

What do charged Rado's usually sell for???

As if £2500 will go on the top of your price of your car then its worth it.

You could always buy a second hand one (£1500) and sell it when your done for (£1300) meaning you dont lose much while saving for the car you 100% want.

I wouldnt get something if you was in to minds... you only regret it and lose alot of cash in the process.

Good luck with whatever your choice is!!!

no not quite got enuf for a 3.2, but I'm thinking that maybe thats what I'll go for in the end. I'm going to keep the Corrado for another couple years.

So in the meantime, the question now has changed a little..

Do I get a Charger now and get things like respray (keyed down one side :( ) done in a few months, when should hopefully have some spare cash from house sale. Or do I get the bodywork sorted and do the charger in a few months....?

A stage 1 VF-E supercharger kit is a safe bet. £2250 will get you a smooth & reliable 260BHP from a kit that can be fitted in a weekend. You can go with the bundled GIAC chip or, if you want to get a custom map done at Stealth for an extra few BHP then you can.

The best bit is that the kit will still fetch £1800 second hand after 2 years of use.

Don't get tempted by Stage 2 - the stage 2 GIAC chips don't work and Stealth really struggle mapping for the bigger injectors. The extra 20BHP ain't worth the extra hassle and expense.

Mr_GTI, no no no, u misunderstand!! The Beetle would mean I could keep the Corrado as well!

I think Ive decided against the TT, so now its

a) keep Corrado and get Charger

B) keep Corrado and get Quicker Beetle

c) keep Corrado and maybe do things like respray and other cosmetic thingies.

oh right, I thought you were planning on having it as a daily driver!! As fun as it sounds if it were me I would consider a track car rather than a sprint car - much more fun, a stripped out mk2 16v or MK1 (if you can find one) would be loads of fun on track days, they cost from as little as £90 for the day - open pit normaly so you get loads of racing in rather than the queing up for ages at the pod only to get 3 runs if your luckly.

But given your choices above I'd pick option A followed by C then B

I've always loved Beetles and always wanted one (Blame Bumblebee...) and it would be a daily driver as well. I would use the beetle during the summer & @ pod, and the Corrado when the wethers not so good.

not really into Mk2's tbh. I use the Corrado for track days anyway. Probably not as much fun on track as a mk2, but still, dont really want one.

Would def be option (A) for me!

Also, i know it doesn't matter now because you've changed your mind about the TT, but having owned a VR, i don't think i'm ever gonna be able to step down to a 4 cylinder engine. I would miss the sound WAY too much! And i'm not being biased towards the VR, i mean any car i consider would have to be at least a V6.