Having the chains done + Some

Right the time has come to have the chains done just for a peice of mind and to get rid of that awful rattle. While it's at the garage it's also getting few extra bits done at the same time.

Timing Chains

Clutch

40K service

Front Wishbones and Balljoints

and 4 wheel allignment

Hope all goes well should get the car back for friday evening.

Been saving up since last year for this. And finally got the funs togther in one place.

I'll be getting some discount as i konw the parts manager, so it's not all that bad.

Was going to have the chains done at stealth or by killokilla, but if something was to go wrong later down the line, it would become to much of mission to get the car back to them. As they are bit of distance away for me.

probably a bit of a n00b question, but hey, im a n00b;)

ive just got hold of a 77k milage fsh car, and im assuming that the chains havent been replaced... what sort of milage should thay be replaced at and what would be a reasonable (non-dealer) price to expect to pay???

thanx

people say around 100,000miles, but VW say they will last the life of the engine, its not the chains that break, but the tensioners crack and fall to pieces as they are plastic

mine is on 140k, i bought it on 130k and its not had chains done. Is a case of when they become noisy imo, i've heard of VR's doing over 200,000 on original chains and tensioners.

i only asked about headwork as some of the Vr's i viewed before mine that had had the chains done has also had the lifters and valves done too

ok so basicly it shouldnt really be an issue for about 20k anyway, and even then its only if it becomes noisy???

the main thing i was worried about is engine damage if theres a problem... but i suppose that chains dont have the same issues as standard belts do in that respect...

thanx for the reply

its just something to bear in mind for later, as sankys said his were noisy, some ive heard are still silent at 90k like mine! hopefully they will never need doing all the time its with me? they very rarely just break so i wouldnt worry too much, decent servicing all the cars life prolongs loads of items, if the chain tensioner does let go it can ding your valves etc as it lets the cams spin out of sync, if yours is a later car? obd2 then they improved the tensioner guides which are more robust, just keep an ear out for any nasty noises that werent there before, and if its a whining noise when first started that sounds like a milk float...dont worry all vr6`s do it seems? its the rib belt tensioner, they can fail more often thanthe chain ever will! just enjoy the sound track of the vr and spend the money on petrol and mods!

Just had mine done on 160k and had the tappets done at the same time. TBH the condition of the tensioners werent half as bad as what Ive seen from others with a lot less mileage! Only one of my guides was cracked but the rest just had slight scoring, though the chains were quite slack apparantly. Think it all comes down to servicing and regular oil changes and not ragging it all the time! LOL

Heres some pics, you can make out the broken guide in the 2nd photo.

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1173439551_421_FT163050_dsc00290.jpg]1173439551_421_FT163050_dsc00290_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1173439551_421_FT163050_dsc00291.jpg]1173439551_421_FT163050_dsc00291_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1173439551_421_FT163050_dsc00292.jpg]1173439551_421_FT163050_dsc00292_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1173439551_421_FT163050_dsc00293.jpg]1173439551_421_FT163050_dsc00293_.jpg[/lightbox]

Well a bit disapointed today as i didn't get a phone call to say the car was ready. But i've still got the loan car so it's not total loss. Just was hopeing to have it for the weekend to play with.

Hopefully have it back for Monday now.

• 1 month later...

Wo ho' date='

Got the VR back this afternoon, deffinatlty feels different, more tighter and smoother.

Well happy with it.

[/quote']

You've gotta be coming at the weekend then buddy, I'll take you for a rip. ;)

No got it back in march, it's just this simplyvr6 guy bring up old posts for some reason.

Deffinatley going to try and come this weekend and would love to go for rip in your vr.