[poll] Have you had your Timing Chains/Tensioners changed?

Mines being done today, the whole lot with clutch too at 67k P plate. I would rather have that piece of mind and enjoy driving it as thats what i bought it for. If im going to own the car for a while then sooner rather than later is better imo :)

i was thinking guys, rather than pissign about isn't it easier and more cost effective to just get a exchange engine for £1400(i'm sure thats what i was quoted).

Better result in the end i think.

Knowing my luck i'd get the chains done and have it all put back together and then the rings will go, or the little ends will need doing or some sh1t like that.

God i'm negative need more prozac.

Sometimes its a case of 'Better The Devil You Know' though. If I was 110% happy with the history of an engine and it had the chains/tensioners done then I might be tempted to replace the engine. Otherwise ill stick with what I know as I know the history of my engine for the past 100k!

Sometimes its a case of 'Better The Devil You Know' though. If I was 110% happy with the history of an engine and it had the chains/tensioners done then I might be tempted to replace the engine. Otherwise ill stick with what I know as I know the history of my engine for the past 100k!

How many miles have you got on the clock now ?

im now on 160k, just had a new clutch, not gonna touch the chains for a bit, as it sound sweet, tappets are a little rattly, so i may change them, but i also change my oil every 3000, speaking of which it'll be due before i go to the RING.

• 1 year later...

I've had mine done last week. top tensioner plate was knackered and stretched chains. made it verrry rattly on idle. purrs nice and smooth now though! well worth doin. also got a starter moter, water pump, aux belt and tensioner fitted for a grand total of 660 quid. billy bargain i reckon

had one lot done at 104k because it was a little bit rattaly only for the bottom end to pack in 400 miles later.

new engine put in a bit fast as was going down devon for a weeks holiday with the family then on the way back top guide snaped of and the chain was hitting the tensioner bolt, iv never heard anything sound so rough!

quick question - is there 2 types of tensioner bolt? its just that i have one with a nipple on the end and one without, the one without seems to be a bit shorter.