Corrado VR6 - Starts up then cuts out immediately

How can I track down the cause of my Storm starting on main or reserve key, engine fires just fine for about 1 second then cuts out? About once in 20 tries it stays fired up and I can drive anywhere with no further problems until I turn the ignition off and try to re-start. My local VW garage has no real clue and given up apart from saying the keys may need recoding. They have checked the detecting coil around the ingition lock on the steering column is correctly in place. I've just put in a new battery and this helped for a few starts - but now am back to square 1.

All ideas welcome - I so miss driving this wonderful car.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Main dealers have no idea whats wrong with my golf, no fault codes alarm fully removed replaced ecu relay and fuel pump relay new sytec fuel pump, Next thing to do is get the car back and send the ecu over to vince in stealth for testing after that full loom out and check all wires (a bit extreme i know) maybe the installation and the removal of the alarm has done some damage or some connection has broke down but its the only way i can be sure. I miss driving my golf

• 2 weeks later...

Complete longshot but is it anything to do with the Throttle Body? Only i had mine off over the weekend and forgot to put the plug thingy back in. I started the car and it immediately cut out.

It's fine now i've plugged it back in.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, quite common this problem is on the corrado's atm...

Stealth have been swamped with corrado's suffering this fault, and it seems to be down to the imboliliser kicking in... Vince is having to bypass the imobiliser in the ECU to get around the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest supamasiv

had this problem my self when the car was warm after long moterway journeys, for a 'get me home fix' just pull out the imobiliser fuse and replace it. i dont know if this f**ks it up long term, but the AA man did this to mine and i havent had a problem since...

the fuse is located behind the little shelf in the drivers footwell.

• 5 weeks later...

i take it must be fixed then.

Pete, many thanks for your help and advice.

I called Vince at Stealth Racing (+44 (0) 1926 812259) who said he has lots of Corrados turning up with this problem and pointed to bypassing the immobiliser that seems to be part of the Electronic Management Unit. He does this a lot for people with this trouble. As I want the car working well to sell I decided in the end to take it to my local main dealer. They were puzzled for a while and had a chat with VW in Germany. They said it may be intermittant but lets recode the keys to start with - the code come from Germany to main dealers only. This cured it straight away and cost under £100. I've tried it loads of times and all is now fine and dandy.

Might be worth a try for others with a similar problem - please share.

Laurie1947

Guest 6DOVES

Hi Guys!

I had the very same problem and fixed it in 3 min after 6 mnths of trying with different agencies!

The problem was that the ignition wire was earthing against the streering rod....Go figure!

All i did was remove it from the cable ties and attached it to a set of wires further above the streering and voila! Haven't had a problem since then! Maybe worth a try guys!

• 2 months later...

Well guys i think the problem with my VR6 golf is sorted out now *fingers crossed* it was the throttle body was f***ed had a spare one as per vince adapted it and lost all strange codes and she has ran for the last 3 weeks now

Although having the keys recoded worked for a while it was an intermittant old immobilser that had to be removed to solve the problem for good. Thanks for all the good advice and help. This car now has a new owner and he appears to be as pleased with the car as I had been for many many years and am now missing it. Last time this happened I had to buy another of the same model!

Best to all readers Laurie

• 3 months later...

Hi Frankie, I got desperate at this end after trying many ideas over some months and took it to main VW here in Reading. They scratched their heads too. Eventually they went for recoding the keys (codes held in Germany) and later on suggesting the Thatcham immobiliser be replaced or disconnected. Together this solved the problem for £80 to VW. I've since sold the car and the new owner seems happy. I still miss the car and will be buying another VW later this year. Best Regards to you and all Corrado owners - lucky people.

Laurie

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same probelm on my corrado and it turned out to be wiring to the fuse box under the dash in the drivers foot well. It was in a garage for days and we tried the spare key, a new ignition switch etc. The guy was about to give up when he wiggled the wires and got a reading on his meter. Give that a try. It cost me £300.00 for a two minute fix!

Hi MackemVR6, Thanks for suggestion - the notes left on Feb1 2008 says it all for me. I still miss the Corrado and believe this problem to be common and the reasons most varied - at least 4 different things appear to cause the same problem. Having read your tale I'm lucky it was fixed by the local main dealer for £80. Laurie

• 4 months later...

hi all im new here just spotted post

i have a 95 vr6 and had the same problem a few years back

after lots of fiddleing a bloke at a vw dealer advised me on a fix

there is a control box located behind the dash drivers site next to the spoiler switch it is where the transponder coil is fed to there sometimes are loose connections in it and sometimes dry solder joints to the circuit board i took mine out it is in a box that you can undo and check the connections and if you have the know how you can give the solder to the circit board a flow with an iron im a qualified electrical service engineer and did this procedure to mine and have never had the problem since obiously if your not comfortable with soldeing then wouldnt try it but just checking the wire connections may help