fao anyone who relaced there coilpack - is mine going?

outer casing? might get away with it if it runs fine and you dont mind a bloody big crack being there lol . why not hold out till whats his name Ibvr or something? :S lol finishes the MSD ignition coil packs kit? youd be repairing the crack and upgrading , all for a smaller/similar sum as standard replacement :)

Get ready for a misfire! Actually, mine looked like that for 6 months or so before it finally failed, but that was during the dry summer months. It was toast as soon as it started to get a bit damp.

Complete lottery - it may go tomorrow or it might soldier on for months. I got stuck in a car park when mine went - 4 cylinders was not enought to get the poor old girl up the hill! Make sure you buy the replacement coil from GSF - much cheaper.

On the upside, your VR will feel like a beast after you have replaced the coil!

I've had two fail, one on a mk3 GTI the other a polo, so the single coil pack design, the mk3 run fine until one week end when it started playing up, it failed on the monday morning on the way to work. The polo failed on a friday after work - about midnight - also went straight away. Both were cracked but the cracks were hidden. The RAC keep these in stock on their van. ( at a cost £110 for the same GSF aftermarket part which is £30) so make sure you just get him to fix it to just get you home. I doubt thought he'll have a VR6 one so I'd deffo change it

Change the coilpack dude, I just changed mine, NUFF missfiring on gears 1&2, burnt out plug2,couldn't work out this problem,had it for a few months,miss firin would come and go,changed everything,(HT leads and plugs) it turned out to be the CoilPack...!!! Fitted Beirut Pack inn....Cost me £120...15 min job to change,4 alen key bolts...Minor,make sure u number the leads!!

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed mine has a tiny crack in it so just bought a Beru one for £95 do you have to put any kinda of stuff on the back of it when you bolt it on the car, it looks like a heat sink on the base and wondered if it need grease on here or not??