An alternative to the stock coilpack....

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the MSD conversion is most definitely a "Buyer Beware" modification!!

OK, I've done nearly 4000 miles with the MSDs now (daily work transport plus leisure) and thought I'd offer a bit more feedback.

I'm not really sure about this mod as a long term prospect. Over the weekend and on Monday I was getting some random misfires under load. So I've put the stock coil pack on and it's OK again, so I think one or more of the MSDs is on it's way out.

I really don't understand why they blow. All they are is a long bit of wire crammed into a plastic case!! Maybe the "Made in China" logo underneath may be a clue, not sure.

So anyway, like Tom, I can't fully endorse this mod as a long term prospect. They work great as soon as you stick them on and go for a blast, much harder attack.....but I dunno.... they seem to deterioate and now the stock pack with some new BKR7Es feels no different. Could it be a pyscological thing?

Never mind. You try these things and move onto other stuff :-) They're good, but don't expect them to last is all I can advise.

A reliable source tells me the Ford Zetex coils are very strong in terms of spark AND reliability and I know they work well with the DTA, so I'll be trying those next......

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Last time I spoke to him (back in September some time) he said he no longer has anything to do with VRTs and other stuff, so I'm not sure he'll be back on here.

I am still looking into a reliable coilpack solution though. The MSDs didn't work out. They seem to fail quite quickly if run from a 3rd party amplifier.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

ok l know this might seam like a silly question as it says 6 cyl, but this will work on a V6 4mo yes?

it just my golf has developed a slight misfire at lower revs mainly between 1000 - 2000 and l think it might be the coil, so time to replace :)

• 1 month later...

oooo that looks like it will do the job, and at a price to suit almost everyone, typical i just bought a new coil pack thinking mine was failing when it turns out my leads are arcing lol, so i got a used but working coil pack if anyone wants it. (im keeping the new one) is this o34 one higher output than a stock coilpack?

• 2 months later...