Would my Vr6 Beat Prelude Vtec 2.2

HI there guys i have a friend who has just bought a Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec which sounds like a tickey old thing. He keeps going on about how his car is so fast and how he could smoke anyone on the road. would my Vr6 beat his Honda on the dual carriageway i would really like to show him up but thought i would do my research first just incase i got beat. thanks again

It`s a close run thing my mate has a prelude also 2.2 vtec ,my car is totally standard and up to about 100-110 were even ,he even may be slightly quicker but after that its no contest. They are fairly quick cars they just dont have the torque top end to keep up and thats with his being a japanese import with 197bhp.

It WILL give you a scare though !!

virgin

v-tec is a funny thing,if its driven to the limit v-tec can be awesome but if not its complete turd(in my opinion) no low down torque at all but plenty of top end grunt if you keep the revs up!

I had a play with an integra type r a few weeks back,i was pulling on him a little but when v-tec come in their was nothing in it at all.The thing i thought was funny was the fact i had a whole 1000cc's more than him & he could still scare the sh*t out of my vr :-p

its the gearing that makes them quick and they r quick shoul;d be pretty even but id expect you to just about edge it in higher gears due to engine torque being slightly more important

stick an integra type r gearbox on a vr6 and itl be an absolute missile problem is youll hit the rev limter in 5th at 125 ish mph lol

I brought this exact topic up a while back, as my mate has been boasting the same thing! Still not tested him yet, but from what i've heard it is as previously said in this thread. Very even up to 100-ish, but VR has the edge after that. Depends how good a driver he is too. He will have to keep the engine within a tighter rev range than you will. You'll have more margin for small errors, if ya know what i mean.

Let us know how you get on mate :-*

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yeah, in theory the prelude will be quicker, but in reality its a tin can, so it will shake rattle and roll, the v-tech (depebding on year) only comes into effect at about 5,200 rpm, so its like nothing...nothing...nothing....then all hell breaks loose, not very practical when my trip computer is showing an average of 20 mph over the last 500 odd miles.i recently drove a nsx, and even that had the same problem with a 3 litre lump, the v-tech is an impressive piece of engineering, but in my opinion the charecteristics of the rev happy engine r better for track use!!

I drive both cars regularly and am very familiar with Hondas (I work for them), and I must say that what has been said is pretty much true, but wait till you come up against the new generation (Type-R) the V-tec comes in a lot lower and makes it so much more driveable. Given the choice, I'd have a modern Honda and a VR6 (which is what I do) and a couple of mk1s for good measure!

• 9 months later...

i am sooo hurt! i cant believe that you could ask such a message? a vtec doesnt stand a chance against a VR..even if they are worked they get smoked after 180km... brother dont fear those pieces of #@$%^ ! have faith in ur vr6....

p.s HONDA DRIVER'S MOUTHS ARE FASTER THAN THEIR CARS!!

new civic type r the grey import by lecfield

will be quicker than r32 it revs to 9.000 revs

vetec will rev and rev all day but u need to drive it hard

keep it in the power band 5.000-79000 and it gets going

the vr6 is torque both very good engines

the best civic is to put jackson racing super charger on it should be on you tube take a look

i had honda accord type r and raced my mates mk2 vr6 and neck and neck but i could lose him in the bends

but now i own vr6 highline good car for the money just beware u dont get much mpg