AMD or Superchip? Also which oil is best for my 4motion?

Having had my 4motion for 2 weeks and loving every second of it, I have turned my thoughts to perhaps getting it remapped. I have a very local (10 miles) Superchips dealer or I can take it down to AMD technik. Any experience with either? The car is bog standard apart from a K&N panel filter. I just want that bit more oomph! She's quick,but only just dispatched a Cooper S the other night...Also, what engine oil is best? Mobil 1 or something a little less thin? Don't want any oil pressure problems!

Thanks

Mat

• 1 month later...

Not heard brilliant things about AMD. As said above a remap would be far better and get more power from your car. Stealth's full custom remap costs roughtly the same as a chip but far far better with less likely problems too that you encounter with "off the shelf" chips. Plus Stealth are the best in the business when it comes to the vr6 engine.

Your 4motion will only have slightly better 0-60 than the cooper S (maybe half a sec or so), mainly because yours weighs a bit more, but the 4motion will easily win on mid range acceleration and 0-100mph and is far classier. Another mod to try is the flapper mod which Stealth or a VW main dealer will do for you for free - as it takes 2 mins to do. Should gain around 5bhp.

A more free flowing exhaust, air filter (with heat shielding though and cold air feed) plus remap should gain around 5-10bhp. Stealth also have a rolling road and as part of their remap they do a rolling road session.

Semi synthetic oil is best - 10w 40. Quantum Synta Silver (from a vw main dealer) is what I use on my mk3 vr6 which is basically the same engine bar 12v instead of your 24. Don't go for fully synthetic though - that is too thin.

believe or not i too just despatched a cooper S tonight though that was in my vr6 - it was only midrange that the vr6 showed its midrange power as i visibly saw his car jerk doing a gear change when the vr was pulling in 3rd - the v6 4motion is no quicker than a vr6 from my experience on a straight - in a 4motion dont worry about the straight sprints - wait till the corners and bends (assuming your 4motion has had a suspension upgrade) - ive got an r32 and that's when it comes into its own - on bends, roundabouts and in the wet !!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I like the sound of the REVO switchable maps, heard theyre quite good. I did use 10-40 fully syn oil, but it guzzled it and i was never that comfortable with it, so went back to synta silver but its due a service and im considering magnatec oil as I tend to do alot of short trips during the week

• 3 years later...