urgent! poss Head gasget gone on new VR6!!!

hey guys, when i bought my vr6 i checked the oil and the coolant and they both looked fine, checked under the cap too again fine. the water was a tiny bit murky but nothing to worrry about as when i dipped a rag in the water droplets were clear and the tank is a murky colour so i just thought thats why it was.

ive checked the oil and under the cap every day since i have bought the car to check its all ok, and it has been.

any way today i took it round to show my m8 and unscrewed the oil cap and to my amazement there was some creamy substance on the bottom of the filler cap. i got really worried drove it home and check it again but then there wasnt as much there. i hadnt been driving the car hard either! then to make sure i took for the car for a blast and booted it in 1st and 2nd loads - car pulled fine and then when i came to check the cap it was fine!! no creamy oil!!!

whats going on? is my HG gone?

im gonna check the coolant when its cooled down but im getting really really worried now!

any comments appreciated

thanks, john

if theres no oil in the water or creamy oil on the dipstick then it might just be a bit of condensation in the cap. i had this on my vr about 7 months ago. shit myself! wiped it off and it never returned. also check for steam out the back. my mates did this but it was well knackered at the time. good luck mate.

If you had a Head Gasket gone I am sure you would notice the cream more than you are. For you only to have seen it once and then it has since disappeared I think you are fine.

Like has been said keep an eye on the dipstick aswell as the places you have been.....

Mark.

It could be a bit of oil leaking into the water system from a failing oil cooler jacket? its just above the oil filter housing and as they are alloy they deteriorate internally and can let oil in the water and visa versa, just a thought as this was pretty common on mk2`s and i have heard of it on vr6`s too, just have a visual check it may not be that but its cheaper than a head off job! if it is the head gasket you will start to see some more symptoms gradually untill it finally lets go, get it pressure checked at a garage to put your mind at ease it wont cost a lot

thanks guys, the dipstick is always fine. only thing is that i can see some bubbles on the oil on the dipstick? any thing to consider? theres no steam out of the exhaust at all or smoke, engine seems to run fine. only thing is that in the morning it doesnt always start on the first turn but i think that its the starter motor as it makes a nasty noise and the engine doesnt misfire or anyhting.

like i said ill check the coolant in a couple of hours once its safe.

theres no loss of coolant either which is good, however when i did check the oil it looked like it was above the max a tiny bit.

might be just over worrying?

any way thanks, any opinions about the small bubbles on the dipstick?

thanks

john

Dunno about where you live, but here in sunny norfolk i get a blob of cream on my filler cap whenever the mrs does a school run in damp weather, cos the engine does not get hot enough to boil the condensation off, from the damp air it pulls in for combustion. Everyone panics about the head gasket! When it goes, it will go! There will be a mess and it will not run! Simple as!

suppose thats an explanation, but the hg does the hg slowly go or will it just go bang?

when i used to work in this garage we had a vr6 from a non paying customer for about 7 months and every day we drove it in and out off the ramp and into the yard and then back in at night. and because of this petrol slipped down the side of the cold pistons into the oil, there was loads and loads of creamy oil... after an oil change it was fine :)

but i have been doing 10 minute journeys and the engine has been getting to around 70/75 maybe 80 c.

suppose thats an explanation, but the hg does the hg slowly go or will it just go bang?

when i used to work in this garage we had a vr6 from a non paying customer for about 7 months and every day we drove it in and out off the ramp and into the yard and then back in at night. and because of this petrol slipped down the side of the cold pistons into the oil, there was loads and loads of creamy oil... after an oil change it was fine :)

but i have been doing 10 minute journeys and the engine has been getting to around 70/75 maybe 80 c.