Guest Olly_K

thats interesting Nick, no change in idle at all ? I can definately say mine idles not exactly rough, but its noticable, nothing to worry about. Justin, i have the cams and VSR (as well as nick) so i cant give an accurate "noticing a difference" with them. But i will say that both together they are very very torquey.

To sum up, 264s will give you more torque, not much difference in idle, 268s will give you a nice kick at higher revs, and produce a lumpy idle.

in hindsight i wish i went for the vsr and 268s cos theres nothing after 4k on mine now !

I ran the Schrick VGi with the 256's and 268's. It

does the same thing regardless of cam choice. It adds

a bit of hp up top and a lump of torque from 3000-4000

rpm. However, the motor has a very unlinear power

delivery with it, it swells from 3-4000rpm, then

sharply drops, then goes up again. I didn't really

like it.

quote from gti libary

Guess it's between 264 or 268 - my preference would be the 268 to boost the top end power/torque - it's a good match to the Shrick Manifold - otherwise you'll get what Oily K's engine feels like.

hi what about kent cams! vr6o2 is the part number has anyone used them?

theyre 264°

That's exactly what I have in mine. They have produced a slightly lumpy idle, which to be honest I expected. (See if its the same when she comes back from Stealth?)

Combined with a chip it produced a healthy power gain. :)

Definitely no lumpy idle on my car. Not quite as smooth as standard, but barely noticable.

I had a Schrick manifold fitted at the same time as the cams, so I can only comment on the entire package.

The most noticable improvement is between 2500rpm and 4000rpm, where the engine revs much more freely. There is no "kick in the back" like you get with FI, the car is just a lot more "eager".

There is a bit of a surge after 5000rpm, but nothing like what you'd get with FI or wilder cams.

I am seriously thinking about going supercharged next, although this will mean swapping the cams for 248's.

i'm getting an lsd at the same time ,as the handling will be ridiculous anyway, i need all the help i can get , it was £2000 more for a turbo than a stage 2 charger ,but the power difference was unbelieveable .I can hardly believe i've got it booked in myself, (i'll believe it when its done). Only problem is its still standard looking apart from the wheels, i can't afford to do much else to it, i really really need to do the brakes tho

yeah, brakes would be a good idea. im getting a kinetic motorsport turbo from canada and gonna have a go at fitting it myself, (just unsure it will fit a rhd at the moment) and a custom made intercooler kit with the help of powerflow. i was just wondering if you would be able to email me some info about the setup, unless you know little about it. cos im trying to get all the info i can, crammed up in my skull. ha ha. also thinking about going 3.0 at the same time. while the engines out. so info about that would be cool.

stage 1 is £4500 + vat 330 bhp(on a 2.8)the stage 2 turbo is a garrett(not sure which one) 360 bhp (on a 2.8) so about 400bhp and more torque on mine, it is 5000 + vat fitted , it comes with a front mounted intercooler and the compression is lowered by a metal plate??(not quite sure how?) running between 12 and 15 psi , i've probably missed loads out but if there is anything else you want to know just give me a shout , as for fitting a turbo yourself, you are a brave man, Andy at Awesome Gti fit one on his mk2 vr6 and said it was a very hard job and probably wouldn't do it again.

well im having someone help me remove the engine, and it is pretty much bolt on from there, standard internals, altho i mite go for uprated head bolts. then getting someone to put the engine back in for me. fitting the i/cooler myself and having the piping made up at powerflow from s/steel then ill be getting it setup at stealth or somewhere. its supplied with a piggyback chip so shouldnt be too much trouble. its just the clearence issue with the servo/steering rack i have problems with.

oh yeah uprated head bolts on this one too, sounds a good idea if you can do it though, it will save you a fortune, if the boost isn't too much maybe 7 or 8 psi then standard internals should be ok, i have heard the compression will need lowering if you go much above that on a turbo,although i could be/usually am wrong when it comes to the complicated stuff like this!!

ha ha, complete thread hijack. yeah, i was thinking about putting in an eip plate for lowering the compression, but i wasnt sure of the effects of this if i only ran low boost. ive been told it will run effectively on 275bhp on a standard car at about 5psi, and if i intercool it i could get up to 13psi out of it and hit over 350bhp. and the boundries are streached further with a boost controller, which i have lined up too. im going to see how the next 2 months pan out for me cash wise, then probably go ahead with it, even if i dont think it will fit. ha ha.