Urgent help required VR6 starting problem

Hi there, I am new to this forum. Just got rid of my mk2 golf gti and got a vr6. However it just seems to be causing me problems. When i bought it the guy said he thought there was a slight fault with the alarm immobilisor as sometimes you had to disable a couple of times before the car would start. So i had the alarm removed and a new immobilisor put in. The guys thought there was still a problem possibly the ignition switch. i was then able to start it by turning the key and pushing it up. Then there was nothing and i was stranded at work. So i got the ignition switch changed and all seemed well until today another 2 days late nothing again. The only way i can now start it is to rock the car up and down.

When the key is turned all ignition lights come on there is just nothing but silence, it dosnt turn unless u rock the car?

Any ideas?

Also the reverse lights are staying on in what ever gear you are in, i dont know why so i took out the bulbs.

Finally the climate control dispaly keeps flashing.

Apart from that the car is great.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Matt. :)

the climate control is flashing to tell u there is a fault with it needs to go on a code reader . I would cheak the feed to starter motor this is easy there are there should be a big power feed wire onto ur starter like a battery wire and a small wire . when the car dose not start see if u have power to the small when then the key is being held in the start position . you just need a test light to cheak this . disconnect the plug to the reverse lights will i have a look tomorrow and see were it its but its most likley that its that is holding the lights on

thanks for the replies. i ve taken it into a garage where its been all week. still no joy. The switch, immobilisor, starting motor and relay have all been ruled out. They are waiting for an auto electrician to take a look. Its still doing it intermittantly which makes it hard for them to test. Hopefully will have it back this weekend. Never had any trouble with my mk 2 or mk 4.

• 4 weeks later...