Need career advise....skint

OK im currently running my vr6 on not much more than minimum wage doing poxy supermarket work. i dont really have any skills i did 2 years of art college and have been stuuck in dead end jobs since.

cant really go back to college as would mean giving up my vr6 and couldnt do that :-( i work shifts at teh moment so cant even do evening courses.

I have loadsa plans for my car and just cant affordto do any of them :@

what sorta trades are easy to get into with little qualifactions? and pay ok obviously, cheers

I'm a sparky- it's a good job.

How old are you? you could get a job as an ' adult trainee' that pays about £8-10 an hour but you may have to pay for your college to 'show willing' to your employer.

The whole construction industry is desperate for skilled tradesmen and the ways of getting qualifed are quite flexable( evenings/day release ect)

Try contacting your local college for info, then maybe find a company to take you on.

Decent sparks/fitters/plumbers/chippies earn about £500 a week take home quite easy- more is possible if you want to do the hours.

stu.

I'm in the same boat too mate! Been thinking of doing one of what Squirreleater suggests, seems like the best way forward. Only thing is whether i can afford to live on a minimal income whilst doing the apprenticeship or whatever. I'll be interested to hear what people are sayin on this subject. ^o)

I was stuck in a rut about 10 years ago when my previous career path hadn't worked out and I ended up just working to pay the bills. It was hard work but I'd always had an aptitude for computers so I studied a lot, passed a few exams and got started in the business. It's still a growth area but not as hot as it used to be, if you want to work in an office AND have an interest in computers, there are plenty of home study courses, PM me for suggestions...

If you don't fancy that, then the traditional trades do pay well like squirrel said and you'll always be able to make money. Plumbing/heating engineer/electrician seem to always have high demand.

Just a thought but BT are always looking for engineers, one of my buddies just retrained at their expence at the ripe old age of 36. hes got an ok wage but it improves nicely with time and experience . May be worth a look ,

Sorry to hear that mate, at least you have a VR thats one thing! Theres plenty of decent professions to get into just got to decide whats for you....

As said before there is a high demand for plummers and electricians, and they train you up AND offer a decent wage. If not give your CV to some agencies to get temp work in admin... we got a few temps at my place who are thick as pig shit ( not saying you are buddy! :) ) and they get £9p/h, and its good experience for you CV.

Good Luck! :)

cheers everyone didnt expect so much of a response!

squireleater: im 24 my younger brothers a sparky he is pickin up nearly double what i am, im not brilliant with my hands so was thinking more computer industry but i think thats an overpopulated field.

i dont mind being on a trainee wage cus i practicaly am at the moment!

vr6matt yea least i have a vr, but feel like im letting it down and want so much more out of it.

cheers again

Know how you feel matey. But thats one damn fine VR i see there, even more remarkable that you own/run that on cack wages. But imagine how u would have it if you had loads to spend on it? And for that my friend, you'd probably need to get rid of her, get some training and once your in money street, get yerself another and do the business. Sounds harsh i know, but i know what your saying. I'm running a new business in a tiny town and i'm practically running her on my bread and water money, not even beer money. Lifes just not fair is it? :-( ;)

I dunno about there in the UK mate, but in the states there are "community colleges". They specialize in the trade industries, are alot cheaper, and also you get in and out with qualifications in less than a year (typical). The good thing is, if you are working, as you are, and can't keep a regualar schedule; you can do the courses from home! It does take more commitment, but its practically the same, except its at your house. You do all your coursework, tests, essays etc at home, email them to your teacher. Bascially how it works. Might consider looking into that mate.

Along side that I think apprenships are a good idea!

Chris