ok, thought i may as well ask all this as i'm bored. not been using the car for a while as its MOT has run out and i have a couple of things to do to get it through (done most of it, rests getting done on tues before the retest), but i have a couple of other little problems. keep in mind its juts had the headgasket replaced, along with all service items, and thw wishbone bushes (not that this makes any difference to these issues)....

the battery appears to keep going flat (is only lasting about 2 days max), but i'm not 100% convinced its the battery, thinkin it could be somethin else, is there any way of testing a battery (i'm sure i've heard that halfords have the equiptment to check them)? when i try and start it theres loads of clicking coming from the fusebox, is this normal with a flat battery?

its also not idling when first started, and then idles at a very lumpy 500rpm. any theory's? did idle lumpy previous to the h/g change but not that low.

any help appreciated, am gonna get the fault codes checked but worth askig on here first. it's a '93 vr6 by the way (colipack, obd1).

Have you got a voltmeter? It's always worth checking the output from your alternator is OK before replacing a battery. If it isn't, your new battery will go the same way.

The battery has never run flat in my Golf, but in some other cars I've had the relays for ignition, ABS etc. did click like mad when the battery was flat.

the clicking is normal on a dead batt the solonoids/relays are switched by the 12v from the battery. when there is no load on the battery (ie when the car is off) the battery wil prob giv 12v but when u start the car and the relays switch the battery is loaded and the voltage droppes cuz its flat that turns the relays off which in turn removes the load so the voltage goes back up and it goes round and round click click

yes you can get battery checked most places that sell car batteries have a tool that just pushes onto batt terminals and tells you condition ov battery .also there is many things that can cause battery drain if head gasket has just been done have a quick check that all wires connected to engine are good and connected properly specially the earths ,but iv also known relays, alarms and on 1 car a fault with the central locking to drain the battery ,also if battery is dead low can cause car not to run pukka cos its not getting right amount of power for spark and fuel pump etc.etc.

If you remove the negative terminal of the battery and put a voltmeter selected to (Amps) in the circuit, ie the voltmeter is now connecting the battery to the chassis of the car, you can see if you have a current drain. Think an exceptable value off the top of my head is 500ma (0.5A) any more and something is wrong, usual suspect is a car stereo.

Have you checked the boot light is switching off? I know on the Corrado it's a common thing for the light to stay on as the microswitch inside the latch jams on.

If you're getting clicking from the dash when starting, that's the ECU relay not getting enough current. Always a sign of a dying battery.

Go to Vauxhall and get a big diesel spec battery and be done with it.

Why Vauxhall? Because they're made by AC Delco, arguably the best battery money can buy, other than Odyessey dry cells.

I've got a 15 year old AC delco battery and the diagnositic indicator is still green, indicating good health! They have a little indicator on them. Green for good, red for shafted and amber for low voltage, i.e. insufficient current from the alternator.

you need to check that your battery is holding its charge.

charge the battery ond check the voltage it should be about 12V test it again after a hour if it has droped below 10-11V you need a new battery

you can also check that its charging on the car

with the car running you should be getting about 14V at the battery.

have u properly checked your alternator? How about the voltage regulator on the alternator? voltage coming out of alternator should be consistant. if it is going up and down drastically, then suspect your voltage regulator on the alternator or failing this your alternator itself.