1/4 mile sprint----- advice please

Hey guys and girls, :)

Im doing the 1/4 mile sprint tomorrow in my old vr6, i have never done it before in my life, can anyone give me any tips advice as the best way to do this and best way to drive ther car ect, revs at starting and best time to change gears eg 4.5k revs ect ect...??? any advice would be great as i have a few people who wanna race me and i have never done this before and relly dont wanna be stuffing it up.....lol :D

Also what sort of time should i be expecting to get in my vr6, its standard apart from the ram-air which im taking with me, as im going to run it with the standard box on and the ram air.....

Look forward to reading your replys :P

Paula

Well....once you've powdered yer nose, adjusted the hair in the "vanity" mirror (rear view), text a few of yer pals ...I'd say about 20mins! !amazed and by that time everybody will have pissed off to the pub! :D:D;);) Only kidding, just taking the piss! :D:P Where ya been anyway, 's been awfy quiet...nae guid banter to follow up on.... ;);)

Best of luck on the quarter mile though, just be aware that it could shorten the life of your clutch dramatically not to mention the box :(

How many vehicles have you, and how many are VR's??

Guest couzens

oh god, please mate don't get me started defending Paula; don't want another argument with Ollie! lol. :P

Paula, from my limited experience (as no doubt acf will correct me) hold first gear at about 4.5 rpm on the line and as you go let the clutch out slowly so as not to stall. Also keep wheel spin to a minimum as this will just loose time, then floor the gas.

yeah, change at 4.5/5 rpm as according to my rr output at Stealth, my and I'm sure most other standard VR's were hitting max torque at that output = therefore why go any higher.

Once in 4th, perhaps leave it a bit longer = 5.5rpm as this is a good gear before changing to 5th.

Watch where your going, listen to the engine and just GLANCE at the rev counter when changing.

That's how I would do it but I'm sure expert acf will correct me LOL. :D

Want some support = where you doing it as I could come along

Simon

Well....once you've powdered yer nose' date=' adjusted the hair in the "vanity" mirror (rear view), text a few of yer pals ...I'd say about 20mins! !amazed and by that time everybody will have pissed off to the pub! :D:D;);) Only kidding, just taking the piss! :D:P Where ya been anyway, 's been awfy quiet...nae guid banter to follow up on.... ;);)

Best of luck on the quarter mile though, just be aware that it could shorten the life of your clutch dramatically not to mention the box :(

How many vehicles have you, and how many are VR's??[/quote']

LMAO....nah im not a typical woman who has to take make-up with them or checks her hair in the mirror or puts on lipstick in the mirror, more like go down the pub.... :P

I have been a busy girl, did the mod nationals and the redline rumble last weekend , and i will be in redline as i did the wet t-shirt comp.... :P

I only have 2 dubs, my vr6 and a 1.8gti golf mk1 cabby which is garaged.....cant wait to do the pod now.... ;)

oh god' date=' please mate don't get me started defending Paula; don't want another argument with Ollie! lol. :P

Paula, from my limited experience (as no doubt acf will correct me) hold first gear at about 4.5 rpm on the line and as you go let the clutch out slowly so as not to stall. Also keep wheel spin to a minimum as this will just loose time, then floor the gas.

yeah, change at 4.5/5 rpm as according to my rr output at Stealth, my and I'm sure most other standard VR's were hitting max torque at that output = therefore why go any higher.

Once in 4th, perhaps leave it a bit longer = 5.5rpm as this is a good gear before changing to 5th.

Watch where your going, listen to the engine and just GLANCE at the rev counter when changing.

That's how I would do it but I'm sure expert acf will correct me LOL. :D

Want some support = where you doing it as I could come along

Simon[/quote']

PMSL- at that 1st comment....lol ;)

Thanks for that bit of advice, i will try that , really dont wanna make a tit out of myself, by messing it up but hey i guess i have to start somewhere a.....will try everything you said... :)

Im going to santa pod with a couple of locals from where l live,theres a skyline, a vr6 vento,astra turbo, and a few others coming up so i have some hard races to do, going to race the skline first as i wont be expected to beat that so i wont feel such a loser.. :? ..lol and give me a chance to get the hang of it...lol

So you going then if so let me know and say hi.... :D

[quote name=vwmadgirlI have been a busy girl' date=' did the mod nationals and the redline rumble last weekend , and i will be in redline as i did the wet t-shirt comp.... :P

Christ Paula, when the guys read this, this threads gonna go mental :P;)

I have been a busy girl' date=' did the mod nationals and the redline rumble last weekend , and i will be in redline as i did the wet t-shirt comp.... :P [/quote']

Christ Paula' date=' when the guys read this, this threads gonna go mental :P;)

[/quote']

lmao..... ;) and i would have won it if the thing hadnt been fixed, 1,2,3 went to funnily enouth the girls that worked for redline....(so they didnt have to pay out the prize money B) ) i came joint 3rd...so had it not been fixed then i would have won....dont forget to buy your copy next month !amazed lol

Hey I can't give you any tips paula as i've never done a 1/4 mile sprint but you go girl :P show them lads how its done ;-)

Thanks claire i will do my best dont you worry..... ;)

Going to get some pics and maybe a video so will post it up for you to watch.... :D 8o)

[ Edited Sat May 22 2004' date= 10:45PM ]

lmao..... ;) and i would have won it if the thing hadnt been fixed' date=' 1,2,3 went to funnily enouth the girls that worked for redline....(so they didnt have to pay out the prize money B) ) i came joint 3rd...so had it not been fixed then i would have won....dont forget to buy your copy next month !amazed lol[/quote']

I've pitched my tent outside our local newsagents already ;)

Errrrrmmm..."Yo! where's the photos Dude!... hi 5" in his best Todd voice again :D

Honestly, Paula I hope you do well, is there any one can video it for you? The run that is ....

Be very careful though of popping the clutch, My mate shattered the Clutch on his 20v Ur Quattro Turbo at Crail 1/4 mile , the car puts out 500bhp so you can see the harm it will cause :(

But go for it Babe, Show them whos the Daddy!!! !amazed :P:P

For those who think I'm sexist, I'm not ... in fact more of admiration for Paula, as it wouldn't be me!! So yes, I 'm the chicken when it comes to my VR x)

An interesting Story though.......

Do any of you remember the 80's when Audi were winning everything with the short wheelbase Quattro and the Drivers Rohl, Mikkola and of course Michelle Mouton???

Years Later a club I ran was invited to Goodwood Festival of Speed, It was the aniversary of the Quattro, all the drivers were there Biela, Bintcliffe, Rohl, Mikkola etc. Quattro Qwners Club were there.

There was the chance to impress on the Hill climb and one of the Quattro owners put his car on the line.... and set the SLOWEST time!! Over strides Mouton and demands that he gives her the keys!! Willingly he does so....AND SHE SET THE FASTEST PACE ON THE DAY WITH A STOCK QUATTRO!! Imagine the guys embarassment !amazed

So go Girlie, you show'em!! :P:P 8o)

I wouldn't worry too much about 4th and 5th on a quarter mile run. You should be just coming into peak power in 3rd as you go over the line..

While the start is important.. my best runs are always when I take less care over wheel spin and really plant the throttle. I always find being right on the bite with a little throttle is best before you start. You'd be VERY unlucky to stall when you release the clutch because the idle valve will give it a little gas. As soon as you feel the car edge forward progressively but swiftly get the throttle down to the floor. When changing gear, stamp the clutch into the ground, gear in, straight off the clutch and plant the throttle.

Harsh on the car.. but there's no point in running the quarter unless you want a time to brag about is there?

Thanks guys for the words of wisdom.... :-)

Yes my mate is going to video it for me i think and i will try get some pics to to upload for ya later....lets just hope i get a good time, will try my best and just aslong as i finsh and i can drive my car home i will be a happy bunny ..... !!! ;-)

i always thought change gear at 6k rpm (i do if im racin anythin lol) 4k doesnt feel as quick but acf will know more im guessin around 7 secs to 60 iv got no idea about quarter mile though standard wheels will help accelaration (i still cant spell hehe) cuz of shorter rollling radius just hav fun

I've been to the pod a few times and usually find that holding the car on the handbrake and the revs on approx. 4,000rpm, with clutch just on the biting point gives me a good start with very minimal wheelspin. The thing I have found you have to be careful with is not getting too much wheelspin on the change up from 1st to 2nd, so try and be a little gentle with it rather than trying to force it. Forget about 4th and 5th , cos if you need them your doing something drastically wrong.

This was with 17's with 215's on though, so you may have to be a liitle bit more careful with the wheelspin on standard 15's on 205's.

The main thing is to have fun and NOT destroy your car!

Hope you have a good one Paula, look forward to the vids and the pics.

Ok i had a wicked wicked time at the pod and loved doing the sprint wanted to just keep going all day but the ques where a nightmare having it wait well over a hour between each one... :( the weather was nice aswell so was a perfect day for it, i took all your advice and got good starts all the time just alittle bit of wheel spin not 2 much which was good...

My vr6 is standard apart from the ram-air which i did 2 runs with it on and 2 with th standard air box on, u can see the results below....was nice to meet simon(couzens) who took the pics for me and pused my car up the que for me..... :P nice one for that m8.....

Ok heres the results.....

Run 1

Honda CRX......................My VR6

+.642-------Reaction--------+.696

2.563----------60ft----------2.476

9.943---------1/8 ET -------10.172

72.69---------1/8 mph------70.20

15.169--------1/4 ET--------15.721

94.14---------1/4 MPH------88.41 (ran with ram-air on)

Run 2

Honda Civic-----------------My VR6

+.809-------Reaction--------+.137 ------ (how quick, see i was over excited there.!!)

2.471----------60ft----------2.863

9.879---------1/8 ET -------10.380

74.62---------1/8 mph------72.69

15.134--------1/4 ET--------15.748

92.40---------1/4 MPH------91.10 (ran with ram-air on)

Run 3

Fiesta V8 --------------------My VR6 (Fiesta with rover V8 engine in)

+.759-------Reaction--------+.605

2.300----------60ft-----------2.459

9.190---------1/8 ET -------10.038

85.04---------1/8 mph------68.92

13.738--------1/4 ET--------15.654

109.47---------1/4 MPH------87.56 (ran with standard filter)

Run 4

Astra 16v GTE---------------My VR6

+.757-------Reaction--------+.4.68

2.608----------60ft-----------2.493

10.603---------1/8 ET -------10.231

68.07---------1/8 mph-------71.17

16.134--------1/4 ET--------15.654

89.81---------1/4 MPH-------90.95 (ran with standard filter)

Heres a few pics.......

54553152.jpg

54553148.jpg

54553147.jpg

54553154.jpg

54553153.jpg

54553437.jpg

54553441.jpg

54553443.jpg

(couzens knackard after pushing my car up the que.....lol)

So as you see i got two 15.7 with the ram-air on and two 15.6 with the standard box on.....

Whats those times like...are they any good for a standard VR6??

And now i want some engine mods...... 8o) what would you say should be my first port of call as its standard threw and threw now.......what should i do that will give me more power....im hooked...lmao

I will be going again when i have done something to it, and i think we should get a few us off here to the pod for a right good day what u recon, anyone up 4 it???

:D