just to add to my above comments...if its locking up cause you've disconnected the abs, it could mean theres nothing worng with it, some cars that have abs are dsigned to have a lot of rear bias (as it'll enable the car to stop quicker, but you won't have probs with loosing it under braking cause the abs scoops it up)

On two occasions I have had interesting!!!! moments while under braking.

Once downhill round a corner under slight braking at low speed (in wet) 20 - 30 mph the rear end just came loose requiring quick correction.

Second time at speed into faster corner I applied moderate brakes and the car's rear end seemed to twist dramatically putting it out of balance.

Maybe I'm asking too much of run of the mill road car?

I cant say I have total confidence in it at the moment.

er...you're not supposed to brake hard and turn at the same time really.

its physics...when you brake the centre of gravity goes to the front of the car, thus making the rear end 'light' if you then turn the rear will of course then step out as theres proportionally loads more front end grip than rear.

every car will do it. your abs will catch it before you spin, but you will get a certain amount sideways before it does...just as if you lock the fronts and turn it would understeer a bit before the abs kicks in. if they set up the abs so it doesn't allow any lock up the car would be impossible to stop in snow (the fiat punto is like this - and its sooo scary i can tell you). the optimum braking is to have the wheels slightly locking, just as the optimum accealaration is to have a fraction of wheelspin.

there's nothing wrong with your car, you just need to adjust your driving. you're braking too hard whilst cornering, and the tyres can't keep grip. brake as hard as you want in a straight line, ut progressively release the pedal as you enter a corner if you need to turn...its a racing technique called trail braking.

[ Edited Fri May 21 2004, 04:45PM ]

good explination.. heres another one thrown in the mix. when braking severely hard, and abs kicks in ie. about to hit someone who jus pulled out in front of you, why would the front end seem to move slightly from side to side. its as tho my cars made of jelly. lol. i know the fishtailing will probs be because the weight is at the front of the car so the rear is light. as acf explained. the brakes are already definately warped btw, as i can feel the judder under light braking.

it'll moves from side to side at the front because the roads aren't perfect and one tyre picks up grip (or looses some grip) at one point, where as the other doesn't and vice versa.

so the abs is constantly adjusting and compensating for it.

Thanks for the driving lesson - I realise its not ideal to brake whilst cornering but its a reality that happens to everyone - I'm not talking hard braking anyway. I've driven many different cars over the past 20 years and I know when something aint right.

[ Edited Sat May 22 2004, 07:21AM ]

Im having same prob at mo have got all new suspension and brakes but i havent replaced brake fluid yet and mine is pretty grotty black colour so im gonna try bleeding em up next and see if this makes any difference was just wondering jusvr6 wot is your fluid like (brake fluid that is)he he