I currently own a modded mk3 1.4(still trying to get pics) but want to sell it because i want more power.i cant decide between a vr or a gti.i have been told vr's are a bit sluggish,heavy,expensive to tune and use up alot of fuel.gti can be tuned a lot easier and cheaper.plz dont take any offence of this thread vr's are a great car

regards

Chris

Ive had a mk3 gti and a VR6 and if you want more power in a mk3 get a VR6.

The VR is expensive to tune but with 60bhp more as standard than a gti even if you spent £2k or so tuning the gti you wouldnt get the same power! A 16v gti is better but its hard to find a good one and it hasnt got that roar!... drive a few gtis and VRs it'll make the decision for you ;)

well...ta vr is gonna be ahell of a lot less sluggish than a gti (and your 1.4!) as its the same shell, and the vr has a fair bit more power. more power = less sluggish!

if you can afford a vr, and the insurance, get one. it's a much more complete car than the gti. the engine is sooo much smoother andmore refined. the only prob the vr has (and gti's have the same) is the suspension...way to spongy. allow about £400 in your budget if you can and get a set of eibach springs and koni adjustable dampers straight away to make the car perfect.

I am considering selling, yes. I fancy a change having owned this for 15months now.

Chris, judging by your username are you in Manchester? I'm only 20miles out of Mcr if you want to come and have a look at it?

or email me daze_pat@hotmail.com if you are interested? Cheers, Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Can say that you would be disapointed with a GTI 16V, if you then drove a VR.

I bought a '96 GTI 16V when in a rush for a car in 2001. I did'nt think much to it and when I had the chance to drive a VR I sold the GTI straight away.

I've owned my VR 18 months and many happy miles later I still smile behind the wheel. Happy shopping. See ya.