Tense, nervous, headache....

Or is it Stutter, Flatspot, Erratic Idle..?? ~:(

Here's a query for you all, I notice this topic of Erratic idles, Flat spotting or Stuttering/ Lack of power/economy seems to crop up on a ready basis &| , my question is this at what mileage does this occur is it high or low or what? :(

At the moment I'm just nosey, but may provide a possible theory soon..... :D

Go ahead people... answer away! !dodge

Regards

28v6r

Okay...9 looks like the limit here that are interested in my theory....AND IT'S ONLY A THEORY BASED ON A RECENT INCIDENT. If you look at the mileage that eveyone has, tell me what you see? Its a reasonably high mileage right? OK there are the odd lower miles in the group but the majority are all around the 70k+ miles, as is mine. Nowt wrong there then.. The next part kinda opened my eyes a little and, as a valve engineer I should have seen this logically... It never occured to me that the injectors were a type of needle valve, anyway I digress.

Picture the scene... I'm out enjoying the VR when all of a sudden the car no longer pulls above 3k, it's really lacking in power, at best I could hit 70 and no more, it just wouldn't do it! Fortunately my Passat is debadged so I can blend into the Flat cap brigade and no one is any the wiser! So off to Mr Payne, an EXXXXCCCEEELLLEEEENNTTT Mechy based in Inverkeithing and this man Is Gawd when it comes to these....

So onto his Bosch diagnostics and..... 3 of my injectors are weak, and the others are none to hot either! In we go for a peepsee and... The seals are perished beyond belief, almost like pencil lead breaking, if not broken in his hands! :o This would allow air into the mixture and cause ERRATIC IDLE. Aha!! Me says. part one, more was to follow, a closer look at the injectors themselves and some had the nozzles erroded slightly, opening the spray pattern to a flood rather than a mist. A new set of injectors, a coating of Silicone grease on the rubber seals (reduces perishing!), all refitted and.....STEP ASIDE BOYS! AHMA COMING THROUGH! Yeeeeehaw!! She now pulls fine in top, the idle is spot on, no lurching up & down, delivery is smooooootttthhhh and Economy is up! 8o) :D

The moral of the story...

A lumpy idle could be caused by perished injector seals, when were they last changed? don't forget, it gets very hot under there and they will go brittle through time, Ralf reckons around the 40k would suffice on the change of seal, and 80k on the replacement of the injectors. Yes, they can be reconned but this is false economy as it shortens the life of whats left in the nozzle, He advises new only, and he KNOWS whats good for the heart of the beast!

So there you all have it, Lack of power - possible injectors either clogged or dribbling. Hunting - drawing air through a perished seal or two! All tending to happen around the high side on the milometer!

Hope it helps you... it sure cured mine! :P:P:P:D

[ Edited Thu May 13 2004, 01:26PM ]

Easy enough, for the more "competent" DIYer, probably about a three spanner rating as per Haynes(?!?). It's your choice if you wish someone to fit them or not, fitting should be no more than £25 - £30 for an hours work (Pending where you are):-)