My tickover was about the 500 rpm mark the other week, distinctly lower than normal, I cleaned my idle stabilisation valve and that cured it instantly. Only problem is the sponge within the sound deadner next to the valve had disintegrated and deposited it self in the pipes around the valve, in the valve etc. Its taken me about three attempts to clear out every bit of sponge but believe me it can totally screw your idle speed and stability up. It made mine idle slowly one day, fast the next and freakiest of all it sounded like someone was in it revving it up and down at idle on the last occasion. Every time I have taken it apart I have found a piece of oily sponge somewhere in that area, it runs fine straight after, anyway new deadner on the way now! Well worth checking.

used spray gunk from Halfords, the valve was just a bit oily and sticking, any degreasant would probably do it, check yr pipes to and from it for blockages, worth checking to see if there is anything left in the sound deadner, otherwise it may have come out and bunged other bits