I want 200BHP+ out of my standard vr what do i need to do?

i own a 97 vr ODB2 running a ram air full system and a high flow cat on fri the car made 193.5 hp and 183 lb/ft torque. i also have a BMC which i feel is better for power but far to quiet so i run about with the ram air just for the noise.

matth76 i also have a manifold but not fitted yet do u feel it made a huge difference???? did u heat wrap yours???

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well whats the joke????

Mine doesn't make me laugh just grin!!!!

the heat soak! sure the sound is good but once its warm you can feel the power drop off.

I agree that in the summer the car does suffer, and I think heatosak caused me to loose power on Sunday (left the car running for aaaaaaages before it went on the rollers) but the BMC is so boring in sound.

I'm just gutted i got a bmc instead of a ram air to be honest ;) got to agree i was sooo disappointed when i first put the bmc in, thinking it was going to roar , bit of a let down considering everyone raves about them!! Got used to it now though , makes a nice subtle noise when you put yout foot down

Have a look on the RR day results, many people with OBD2 cars were kicking out near or just over to 200bhp with an air filter and/or exhaust.

Add a 6 branch mani and a de-cat and there's a good chance you'll break the 200bhp mark, just remember engines vary a lot, aparrently identical engines can have different outputs. :)

anni,does the standard intake not suck in cold air from

outside the driver side wing,and the air box also not stop hot air being sucked in??

by all means i`m not dissin anyone who has an induction kit,i just don`t wanna spend all that money on something that just makes a bit of a noise :)

btw has anyone dynoed their car with JUST a IK on?

peace :)

Good question - does anyone have rr figures for before and after fitting any kind of induction kit? I'd be very interested to also know how they all compare as there's a big debate about whether heat soak is a big issue - as far as I understand it is not advisable to get an induction kit unless it has its own heat shielding such as a BMC. Un-shielded induction kits can actually reduce power due to hot air intake.

What does 'de-coning' the standard air filter involve?

just de-cone your standard air box' date='induction kits are just a big con.

[/quote']

Would you like to justify that??

Rolling road figures to prove???

If you fit an cone filter without a heatshield then what fritzenburg says is true. The filter draws in hotter, less dense air from inside the engine bay and actually loses you power, as opposed to the standard airbox which draws cool air from inside the front wing.

The BMC CDA has it's own built-in heatshield which gets around this problem, but you have to fit the cold air feed pipe and route it down to the front bumper to get the full benefit. Doing this a "force feeds" the filter with nice cold air at speed. This makes a real difference to throttle response at motorway speeds.

I would like to see RR plots of the same car with different setups though. De-coned airbox + panel filter vs cone filter vs BMC CDA with and without cold air feed. It would end this debate once and for all!!

And what difference would fitting a corrado throttle body make on a golf vr6?

matt' date='i`ve got one on mine and it defo made a differance,took a while for the ecu to adjust to the extra airflow b4 i felt it.an obd1 only mod though

[/quote']

I've got a Corrado TB on mine too. Definitely pulls better at the top end. GUTTED I couldn't run at the RR day to see proof of the improvement.

• 4 months later...

whats "de-coning" the standard air box all about?? Ive got the standard air box, with a panel filter, and i noticed a bit of a diffrence, power much earlier in the rev range. Would be intresting to hear what "de-coning" is so i can try that too and see what gains i get.

well il throw a cat amonst the pigions lol,mines got an AMD CHIP and a k+n cone filter that is NOT shielded at all,no other engine mods,std exhaust and cat,now iv shielded it now but when ir was rr'd it was open to the engine heat and it still made 197 bhp and 193lbs ft of torque :)

in my opinion i think rr outputs change from day to day,depends on heat,rr accuracy,fuel quality,tire pressures all these and more are a factor on the rollers