how to tell if OBD2 engine

hi guys,

i am coming back to the VR6 scene after selling my V5, although i have owned both types of engines - i need to know how to tell if an engine is OBD1 or OBD2 i.e. obvious signs apart from the oval indicators on the wings. i basically need a dummies guide to this as owners are not aware of the difference

there is a 95 N reg car i am interested in but the owner cannot tell me which it is and i have not yet been to see it (i only want an OBD2 engine and believe it can come in 95 N reg as well)

thanks guys

much appreciated - cant wait to be back.

There was a thread on here (I think it was the link pointed out above) and on the guide there is a photo that made it very clear which one I had. If you know where the throttle body you will be able to tell if you have an ODB2 (I'm not sure about what the ODB1 engine bay looks like) anyway the throttle body is at the back of the engine bay on the top sitting at the end of the piping coming from the air filter (if that makes any sense!). If you have an ODB2 the throttle body should have a thin black plating on one side (the left / driver side) and the right side which is the majority of the throttle body is silver / steel coloured. And on that right hand side of the throttle body two hoses are attached to it. I'm sure others can give more indications to what you may have. But pics are the one thing that told me straight away what I had - and I'm a novice! &|

I would upload a pic on here but I can't work out how to attach a pic to my posts I'm afraid. ODB2's did come in in 95. With it being the later reg 95 it may well be an ODB2 but not always. Nothing wrong with an ODB1... you can get ODB2 power (which is about 10bhp more) by a good remap and piggyback chip - a company like Stealth Racing would do it for around

thanks guys, i now have the printout of the engine bays to compare, i deffo want to go for a P plate and OBD2 engine this time - and not dragon green lol as i have had 2 already.

what would you guys say an acceptable mileage is for buying a VR to mod?

cheers