I was wondering if a few members could help me out with this. I am after an idea of the oil temperatures that those of you with standard or lightly modified cars see when:

• You're driving normally around town*You're cruising at normal motorway speeds*You're driving, er, enthusiastically

(By lightly modified I mean filter, exhaust - rather than supercharged!)

The purpose of this? Comparison, initially. Also, I am trying to decide on the best synthetic oil to use. I have a couple of recommendations from some very knowledgeable chaps and they are based on typical operating temperatures.

Thanks in anticipation!

Normal operating temperature of the oil should be around 90 degrees which you can see on your trip computer. It normally takes ten-fifteen minutes to reach this... so revving the engine above 3k revs before this is not advisable as you probably know. I find when I get on the motorway it can reach 94/95... driving about 80mph. If I drive at 70 on the motorway it tends to stay around 92ish. Driving round town tends to stay at operating temperature and not really budge at around 90. If I drive fast it can reach 98! Basically the temp on the average vr6 will hover between 90 (average driving) and 100 (very fast driving). If it goes much over 105 I'd start to get worried! What kind of temps are you getting?

By the way I use semi synthetic castrol gtx ...says on the back it meets the vw 105 standard or something (what ever that is). My car is lightly modded with high flow cat and full stainless exhaust... power output is around 195bhp.

Thanks for all the replies thus far. Now that I have some basis for comparison I will be keeping an eye on mine.

I am trying to decide between Silkolene Pro S 5w-40 or 10w-50. (Fully synthetic - ester oil).

They are the same price, but the 5w-40 gives better cold start protection and is fine for prolonged use at temperatures of up to 120 degrees C. The 10w-50 can take temperatures of up to 140 degrees C.

So far I am leaning towards the 5w-40, but I'll know for sure once I have some data of my own.

Hmm ... around town today. Motorway cruise this evening, enthusiastic drive on the way back from said motorway cruise. Yes, that ought to do!