what are the common probs with the vr6

They are the main ones...... but everyone goes on about chains, conflicting stories so i'm not bothering YET!!!!

I've had mine 8 months now and nothing gone wrong YET.......but bills are usually big IF anything goes wrong. But if its been looked after and serviced regular then you should't have many problems.

Someone has said once that if you get a small problem to get it sorted as it will lead to something bigger.

But enjoy the car and don't worry about it

My driver side electric window sometimes wont open or close UNLESS I slightly move the passenger electric window... very odd. Plus my standard VW stereo/autochanger likes to turn itself off and on for about ten times before settling... on both the radio and CD. Not sure if it's linked to my electric window or not... but going to take out my stereo this weekend and try and see if there are any loose connections. Not sure what to do about the electric window. Just putting up with it at the moment! Apart from that your car will be fine... just let it warm up always till your trip computer (all vr6's have this) says the oil temperature is at 90 degrees... takes 10-15mins then you can rev it over 3k revs. If you rev it from cold the engine will get slowly damaged...as with all cars if they are caned when cold!

petrol gauge is a feature lol just plant ur foot and listen to that engine note !lol

Don't take timing chain advice lightly. My guides went resulting in an engine rebuild ouch &| The chains themselves are robust but the crappy chain guides are well dodgy.

If u need to have the gearbox off for anything then renew the lot for piece of mind ok it costs aba

I had mine since February 2004 and have had the following problems:

Thermostat failure - Replaced and compression test done - All OK.

ABS Sensor Failure - Replaced one sensor and reset code - All Ok.

Driver's Side window closes part way then opens again - Common fault, left it.

Juddering under 2k revs - Cleaned Throttle body and all ok.

Small thumb nail sixe rust patch under drivers door cill - To do.

That's about it and not bad for an 8 year old car :)