hi. this is my first post, and i need help urgently. my vr6 almost overheated yesterday, and discovered my fans are not kicking in so bridged the conections on the switch and they came on. so i replaced the switch, but it has made no difference. i took the grill off and the radiator remains cold even when the engine is hot. it is full of water so could it be the radiator blocked or could it be a jammed thermostat? as the thermostat is the cheaper option could someone tell were the thermostat is? is that thing directly above the starter, or is it part of that thing, that i think is an electric motor( rt hand side at the back)? i have also been that it could be the head gasket.... is this correct?

Hi, had a similar problem. Basically you've eliminated the switch, the reason that's not doing anything is because your radiator isn't getting hot enough to cause the switch to function. Its possible that the thermostat is the cause of the problem. Its located on the right hand side of the engine at the front, behind the black moulded housing which has a couple of hoses attached. The thing at the rear of the engine is an auxilliary water pump(electric) that can be used in conjunction with the fans once the engine is off. A blown head gasket is unlikely on its own to cause the rad to stay cold.

sussed it!!!!!!!! .sorry i havent replyed.. not had the time .. cos the turbo blew on my mr2.

any way back to me vr.. it turned out to be a sticking thermostat.. stuck a new 1 in and it runs sweet as a nut. thanx for the help.

can i take a 6 month old baby??

it gets pretty busy, and loud in some areas. and the dragstrip is very loud and it all revolves around this. i seen a load of kids there last year, so i dont think it would be a problem unless your young one doesnt react well to noise and people.