Vr6 or Bmw e36 328i

The E36 328 is slightly quicker than a VR6, but only slightly.

(0-60 in 6.4, 0-100 in 17 compared to 7.1 and 18.5).

328 has 193bhp & 206lb/ft (VR 174 & 170)

but the BM weighs about 100kg more than the Golf.

Really depends whether you prefer front or rear wheel drive.

I've read that the E36 328 was the best 3 series BMW ever produced (not that I'd talk you out of getting a VR!! ;) )

Both cracking cars though - can't go wrong with either. :)

always loved bm's spesh the 3 series! have to say that i think on the move the vr would beat a bm 328 for pace, not a lot in them tho. would have to go with the vr for an all rounder tbh as the service costs of bmw's are so much higher than that of a vw, and there are more enthusiasts out there willing to help on the vw scene imo!

A 328 with 0 - 60 in 6.4?! I don't think so mate.

Don't shoot the messenger buddy! I was quoting (from an ageing memory) Autocar test figures. Got the 0-60 times spot on too!

So' date=' just for the record;

Autocar road test - BMW 328i - 30th August 1995

Power - 193bhp

Torque - 206lb/ft

0-60mph - 6.4 seconds

0-100mph - 17.4 seconds

50-70mph in top gear - 9.1 seconds

Autocar road test - VW Golf VR6 (3 door) - 6th November 1991

Power - 174bhp

Torque - 173lb/ft

0-60mph - 7.1 seconds

0-100mph - 18.7 seconds

50-70mph in top gear - 9.3 seconds

The Golf road test was actually a twin test with the BMW 325i with the Golf's performance figures being very slightly ahead of the BMW's, although (again to quote the author) "nothing separates them on the road".

Whatever way you look at it the 328 has an admittedly slight edge over the VR,

although interestingly (if you're as anoraky as yours truly) they have identical power to weight ratios of 143bhp per tonne. Fancy!

I've heard several comments from those in the supposed "know" that BMW's power

output claimed figures are somewhat conservative - especially those concerning their models which had ratings close to the German tax threshold of 200PS (about

197bhp).

The BMW, Audi and Mercedes 2.8 litre six cylinder engines of the 1990's all had

quoted power outputs of 193bhp! Coincidence??

Rant over, soap box back in shed. :D

Anorak, wasn't shooting you down buddy :)

I've never actually looked at the figures and have only gone by my experience of driving both. Perhaps the 328 I drove was a bad example, didn't look it though and seemingly well maintained. At the time I was looking for a car I had the VR6, GTi (1.8T), BMW 328i on my short list. Plumped for the VR6 in the end. IMHO found it to be the best value for money and performance.

I just realised, the original VR6 road test was performed in 1991. The post 96 cars had the larger throttle bodies and same ecu/mapping as the highline. From past chats with Vince at Stealth I understand that the pre 96 motor puts out 174bhp (min) and the post 96 motors 190+ I wonder what a new test would throw up in terms of performance.

I imagine a VR6 Golf with 190bhp would have virtually identical performance to a VR6 Corrado (60 in around 6.5, 100 in 17.5).

More or less the same as a 328 then.

So early OBD1 Golfs are probably very slightly down on performance compared to the BMW whereas later VWs are just as quick if not quicker.

Agreed? :)

TVR6 - no sweat mate. I like to challenge the old memory bank now and then. And Autocar's figures are usually about the quickest of any mag for some reason (brutal road testers?).

Might be buying a cheap 328 - hence the interest in this thread.

If I do I'll let you know what it does using the old AP Performance meter.

lol Anorak, agreed :) although 0 - 60 in 6.5? I wish! ;)

Mine's a 97 and has always felt faster/more responsive than my friends both of whom have 93 models. I guess that's where my comparison to the 328 came from. Still, the 328 is no slouch and build quality is superb, nothing wrong there. Just found the VR6 more chuckable, perhaps just down to perception as it's more compact. It was much cheaper at the time also (like for like)

Would interesting to see a new comparison tho :)

I recently went through this torturous decision making recently before deciding to go VR6 (probably highline).

The 328i is a great car but the image is just too bad these days. I asked around friends and EVERYONE I found hates them. They are just too posy and flash, people assume you're a social climber just for buying one.

TBH I'd have preferred the 328i if it had a nice friendly Skoda badge on it.

Oddly enough, the only friends I found who were exceptions to the rule are all members of the "golf club" brigade, the badge still carries cache in those circles it seems.

If you do still want one, make sure the block has already been changed for one with cast iron liners as BMW will no longer replace the failed Nikasil blocks FOC and a full engine is an expensive thing. If it has Nikasil liners, the engine WILL fail at some point before it really should.

PS BMW quotes 7.4 seconds for the e36 328i coupe and they weigh 1400kg. Mighty torque though!