Temperature Light Coming on - but not all the time

Hey people, been a while since I've posted, but am wondering if you may be able to help me out.

Usually in the morning the temperature light will come on when I start the car, and it will stay flashing the duration of my trip - however, the whole time the temperature guage stays in the middle of the range and never gets any hotter.

When I jump in the car later in the day the light never comes on.

I noticed the other night when driving home late that the light then came on. It is getting to winter in NZ - but our winters are nothing like those in the Nth Hemisphere, so any ideas?

Cheers in advance!

• 2 years later...

You should check oil and water very regularly. Just cos you got a light dont mean it works! I check all fluids every time I fill up with Petrol, so every 300 miles or so.

Defo low on water, the light will stay on till you stop the engine once it has been activated.

Sounds like a water leak. Surely you checked the water level/condition before buying!

I must admit I didn't check the header tank level :/

I have receipts for a full engine rebuild 33000 km ago so I'm fairly confident I haven't been too badly ripped off (cross fingers :o)

Will keep a careful eye on it though ...

When the light first came on I thought it was a temperature sensor not a header tank level indicator so I stopped and checked everything visually. The temperature guage was showing 90 degrees, as was the computer.

Being new to the car I didn't open the header tank because I thought it was under pressure, especially since the screw thread on the cap is quite fine and takes a lot of turns to remove. I saw that water was flowing back into the header tank through the return pipe so I figured it was OK.

I'll check it again tonight.

• 3 years later...