I'm having the Koni suspension kit fitted later this month. This gives a modest 30mm lowering (hopefully not affecting ride quality too much). Fronts are top adjustable but rear only off the car, so I need to get the setting more or less right from the start. Anyone got any experience of this kit?

Had the kit on my previous VR6 - leave the rears on their softest setting. Fronts - try 1/2 to 1 turn, depending on the kind of roads you drive on - 1/2 is good for round town and 1 turn is spot on for motorway use. Really depends on your personal taste at the end of the day. My only complaint is the lack of clicks like Spax shocks - you have to approximate the amount by remembering where the softest setting is and winding from there.

Thanks for all the advice, which I will discuss with my mates at ABP Motorsport. I will most likely go for the softest settings for now. I wan't to keep what few fillings a year with the Fiat Coupe has left me! Next off is sorting out the engine department - the ride I can live without, but I'm badly missing the Fiat's 250bhp!

• 3 weeks later...

Koni kit now fitted (on softest setting) and what an improvement! The car now goes round corners just like it should and the ride is nicely firm but not too harsh :) . Why weren't these (or similar) fitted as standard by VW? One slight problem is that the springs creak and groan a bit - noticable when manouvering at slow speed. It is possible that they are moving in the housings, so it will go have to back on the ramps to investigate as soon as it is back from the paint shop this week.