Cheap Worthwhile Mods for a VR6

Guest Grant Wesgate

Power more than anything, i'm gonna build another engine with a turbo on to go in her eventually. But looking to get a bit more poke out of her for now.

• 7 months later...

Even cheaper would be to leave the tyres and cat alone, would give same performance and wouldn't cost a penny.

Cheap power doesn't really exist for the VR6, you're best making sure you're getting the best out of it, new spark plugs, HT leads, oil change, perhaps even a Mocal oil cooler, i'd recommend a Neuspeed 160 degree thermostat for around £15, and seek to try and get more cold air into your air box, and replace the air filter with a K&N panel filter, or even an enclosed induction kit although they're a bit pricey.

If you do all of those things, you're not going to see an increase in power of more than a few bhp if you're very lucky, but you'll be ensuring your car is running at its optimum and you'll be getting the best out of it.

no slim il admit i did not have the power checker before and after the mods just off the book.

guess it could have been 250 bhp prior to the exhaust and ind kit and have dropped 56 :P

seriously though i know aswell as alot of people do that OBD2's are prone to producing more than the stated factroy 174 due to different throttle body etc.

Changing from 205/50 tyres to 195/50 changes the rolling radius, it gives the same effect as changing the final drive in the gearbox so does help acceleration.

Obviously its better to do this with the actual final drive though.

Changing from 205/ 50 tyres to 195/ 50 changes the rolling radius' date=' it gives the same effect as changing the final drive in the gearbox so does help acceleration.

Obviously its better to do this with the actual final drive though.

[/quote']

how can changing the width of a tyre change the radius think u will find the radius is 50 on both tyres therefore the circumference of the tyre is exactly the same. the only thing it will do is give u less grip and possibly cause slightly less drag but that would be about it. :P

the best mods u can do is change leads and plugs and get the car checked to make sure it is running as econimically as possible.

and decent suspension and brakes means u can brake later and turn in faster therefore adding speed!! 8)

ive been looking at a lot of the posts on air filters and all i have come up with is that a lot of people are spending a lot of cash on a kit that basicly is a sealed ram air joby . well looking at this i have thought about it and took a little trip up to halfords . they do a aluminum ducting pipe from rip speed at £7.99 i removed the cone from the air box as a experiment (as it is there to increase air speed as it goes )and run the piping from the air box cold air intake (the pipe fits over this snugly ) and down to the grill in the bumper under the fog lights . there is a noticable difference in throtle responce at speed (3rd at 60 if u floor it ). im am going to get a k&n pannel filter . my question is how much better really is the expensive 1 as surely all u are doing is building up pressure in a air box and giving it cold air. is this not the same thing for like half or more than the price of the expencive 1?