Hi all

I'm sure you've all been pretty worried, so please rest assured that I am still alive. Unfortunately my car is in poorer health and I hope you can help.

I just finished fitting a complete new thermostat housing assembly and I think 15 months of leaks are finally fixed.

Having got it all back together I went to start it, but it won't. Flat battery aside, it's never failed to start in the two years I've owned it - last time I started it, on Sunday, it was fine.

All I get on turning the key is a noise like a machine gun coming from somewhere near the front of the engine bay (gearbox sort of direction) and all the lights on the dash flicker. It's a really loud noise. Any ideas at all?

Afterthought: I did lose a screw when I was trying to fix the housing back on, and never saw it again. I really hope it's not in the way of something...

definately sounds like battery problem, the machine gun sound is your relays flicking on/off while your starter is sucking up the jiuce. Best way to tell is to leave you interior light on, if it dims when you try to start ur car, ur battery's the problem...

but since you say its a loud noise...it maybe mechanical, i dont see why the dash lights would flicker though...

put it in first or reverse gear nick and try to push it while that way, even if just a short distance to free the starter a little! sounds like a sticky starter motor to me, tho its always hard to tell from description without hearing it first hand! then try to start the car again!

I've had the exact same problem mate..

I had to jump start my VR almost every day. Mine was stood for some five months due to a knee op :( and I was giving it a quick run for ten minutes most days, but the battery just gave up.

I've also changed my starter because it also gave up (had to tap the top of the starter to get it to work).

I'd say new battery...

My local VAG dealer is selling VARTA batteries for

It's not flat, and I can't see the battery deteriorating that quickly. Rolling and tapping has no effect.

I'd say I fear a new starter may be on the cards, but I still think it's too much of a coincidence that it went wrong whilst I was working on that area of the car. TBH I think something's been knocked put of place, but God knows what, I can't see anything.

if you have let water run down on the starter whilst working near it? check the earths on the starter first and give it a tap as suggested, it definately sounds like you have a flat/knackered battery though my rallye used to do that exact same thing to me every week!!! Grrrr how annoying is that, the dash light flicker is what i used to get too and all the same noises, if you charge that battery up (24hrs at least) and then put it back on i bet it will start, then you can get it volt tested.

If your battery has an inspection cover, open it and peer into the battery and see if you can see if the plates are furred up. batteries eat themselves if left flat.

Next, I normally remove the battery completely when doing thermostat housings - it gives you a nice line of sight and some extra working space - assuming you did the same Nik, you might want to double check the battery terminals for tightness/cleanliness. Just take them off, give em a clean and then nip them back up again (not too tight mind - they can be delicate).

faling that, just work methodically round the connections to the starter motor checking for loose connections.

last ditch, try a friends battery or re-charge your own and give that a try.

Or is there anything else electrical you've been monkey-ing around with recently?!? ;)

Jules

Yes I did take the battery out, but there was no monkeying around with anything else.

I tried jump starting it the other day, but no luck. Maybe that wasn't enough. Gave the motor a whack too, but again, maybe I didn't hit it hard enough!

Getting fed up now - I want to drive my car!!!