Are all 4 motion boxes the same

I'm looking at getting the running gear out of a bora v6 4 motion. Will this be the same as the mk4 4 motion setup I understand it will need a few things changing to get it to work with my mk3 vr6. If anyone knows if it will work and what I will need to make it work will be running about 350bhp with turbo. I understand there is a lot of fabrication involved for the 4wd setup but was thinking of running just fwd to get the car on the road and add the rest later.

I have seen a couple of mk3 running 4 motion setup but wasn't sure if there was a difference between the bora and the mk4 setup. I'm pretty sure it would be the same as Bora and mk4 pretty much same car but would like someone to confirm this also From what I have read the motion box would be better for the turbo build as the vr6 ones don't look boost.

It is doable to most cars if you have the time and skills to do it, I know of two projects currently underway.

1st is a Skoda Citigo that is being fitted with the running gear from an Audi TT quattro and a 1.8T with 450bhp, this can be seen HERE

2nd, is a MK 2 G60 being retro fitted with a TT-RS motor and running gear via a DSG gearbox, easy days on this project with the shell being prepped and the rear subframe has been modified to fit the G60.

The gearbox on a 4 motion is the same in many cars, the Bora, Golf and TT all use the same box even if the engine is VR or 1.8T, the box is an 02M gearbox.

Edited by Swivelonit

It is doable to most cars if you have the time and skills to do it, I know of two projects currently underway.

1st is a Skoda Citigo that is being fitted with the running gear from an Audi TT quattro and a 1.8T with 450bhp, this can be seen HERE

2nd, is a MK 2 G60 being retro fitted with a TT-RS motor and running gear via a DSG gearbox, easy days on this project with the shell being prepped and the rear subframe has been modified to fit the G60.

The gearbox on a 4 motion is the same in many cars, the Bora, Golf and TT all use the same box even if the engine is VR or 1.8T, the box is an 02M gearbox.

Thanks for the info just what I wanted to know. I will just use the o2m for now and can always store the rest of the stuff for a later date. I love the mk2 g60 my cousin has one bored out to 2.0 and running a Bahn brenner charger that thing shifts. Although he has now decided the g60 lump will go in his lupo his e46 m3 lump is going in the golf and the BMW is getting a big block v8.

I always thought there was a differance in the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder boxes. As they use different fly wheels.

Defiantly with the 02A gear box there is a differance on the housing between 4 and 6 cylinders. There both 02A gear boxes. But are not interchangeable from a 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder.

I guess it's the same for 02M as well.

I always thought there was a differance in the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder boxes. As they use different fly wheels.

Defiantly with the 02A gear box there is a differance on the housing between 4 and 6 cylinders. There both 02A gear boxes. But are not interchangeable from a 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder.

I guess it's the same for 02M as well.

No, an 02M is interchangeable between 4 and 6 cylinders, the box I am currently running is from an Audi TT Quattro 1.8T in my VR6 24 valve MK 4, I have no idea about 02A, I will take your word for it.

I'm almost positive that 02M boxes are different from 4 pot to 6 pot as I had a diesel box and bell housing looked smaller.

Are you sure yours came from a 1.8t? And not the 3.2 TT

Yes mate 1.8T, I bought all the running gear, subframes, shafts etc from the the TT, I was offered the engine too but a 1.8T does not tick any boxes for me, the only 4 pot I would have is an ABF.

KR and ABF are different blocks, have oil feeds in different positions. You can use the 9A engine block with a ABF head and will give a low compression engine good for turboing or supercharging.

Edited by c00k