engine swap how can i be legal?

Hi Guys/Girls,

as the title says really, i swapped my VR6 in my mk3 about 3 years ago, it went from a 1.6 to 2.8, now the question i have to ask is what do you guys do with your swaps to make them road legal?

basically if I lose my driving licence I will lose my job, so everything will need to be legal before I drive my golf on the road again, I believe its a case of getting my car checked and getting a engineers report and sending it to the dvla but I’m not sure how to go about this.

thanks for any help in advance

paul

can change it on the logbook fella with the dvla then its all good,then go get it mot'd.

It should correspond with the insurance companies that its a different engine if it doesnt you can tell them but it maybe easier to use insurance companies more used to dealing with mods like hadrian or others like them.

Iv never bothered and had allsorts with lairy lumps in but iv never had a big smash so not been in trouble,im sure itll void your insurance as its fraud in a way,so youd be up shits creek,

It depends if your willing to pay the extra,now im abit older im looking to declare my swap now hopefully wont be that much extra

Edited by abvsean

well i would rather pay to do things correctly then i can drive with no worries, did you simply fill in the change of vehicle part of the V5 and send it to swanssssy??

did you not need anything to say the engine has been swapped safely or do they just wait for your MOT to prove that?

cheers 

btw when i was 19 i was paying 1800 for my 1.6, after the swap Adrian flux had all the details declared and my first year at 19 years old was 1300 then the second year with a accident was 1600 so it was cheaper with the VR6 :):P

Yeah plenty of cars selling with different engines to what's stated on the log book, one of my points been even if the car was insured with mods declared wouldn't insurance be void if the car hadn't passed the engineers check is not properly registered.

Surly loads of people on this forum have been in my place and registered the new engine with dvla?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by p0u1

Non disclosure can mean no insurance cover...

A "material" fact is one which would influence an underwriter when they were deciding whether to accept the risk, and the terms and conditions that should apply. If a customer fails to disclose (or misrepresents) a material fact and this induces the insurer to accept the proposed risk, the legal remedy is to "avoid" the policy. This means the insurer is entitled to treat the policy as though it never existed.

Well as it appears no one cares about the v5 work as I'm the only one trying and apparently no one has past experience and the car is off the road not taxed not insured and sorn so no worrys about been caught I'm not driving.

Yeah I know how to change the details in the log book, it's the engineers report what I'm unsure about, do I need one and if so where can I get one done?

Sorry this is something I never done due to the confusion as well and the dvla are wise now.

From vosa site

Engine number or cylinder capacity (cc)

You’ll need to provide either:

a receipt for the replacement enginewritten evidence from the manufactureran inspection report provided for insurance purposeswritten confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)

Hmm this is tricky, I put the engine in a while back and never got any receipts from the scrap yard, don't even remember where it came from, I'm going to chance it and send the v5 of with only a cc and engine number amendment and see what happens, got a feeling they will write back asking for proof of road worthiness but I will cross that bridge when they ask for a requirement.

And looking into the v5 notes it says you need written proof for vehicle tax class change, but it will remain a privet goods vehicle just a amendment on cc and engine number.

My car will need to been insured as a modified car anyway, insured as a engine swap as there's far more than a engine swap as far as that's concerned, there's a few company's who will understand I'm not going to find then on a comparison site.

So at the moment, you're driving around in a vehicle insured as a 1.6?.

You have no insurance and if the above is true, you've been driving with no insurance since the conversion.

Contact the insurance and ask directly what changes need to occur on paperwork/ inspection, for them to be happy when you do, not did, the conversion.