Hi All, as the title suggests, how far do you go with a 18 year old car? 

i ask this because i have just been quoted £1500 for a tidy up and respray, i love the VR to bits but after a new year hit and run which did the rear door and needing some small rust patches fixed here and there which apparently need the whole panel done (dragon green) im am beginning to wonder as all it needs is some w@nker to hit it again and i will be gutted!

the resale value doesnt warrant it even with the Schrick etc....

who's in the same boat?

thanks for looking

steve

To me it's all about how a car feels, I love my vr6 it feels special and not everyone has them, although I don't drive mine everyday I still get excited to drive it I'm 28 btw lol I've driven all sorts of cars but non make me smile like my vr do Witg the exception of an r32 golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im with Matt. My vr still puts a smile on my face when I look at it and think of the noise and im knocking on 35 lol and ive owned and drove all sorts of cars ranging from 205gti's, imprezas, a few M3's, atrsa vxr, Rs turbos, and drove 911's, lambo gallado and murcillago, aston DB9. And id say grin factor for niose etc my vr is on par with the supercars ive drove. Maybe nowhere near as fast but still makes you grin as much.

So what im trying to say its how the car makes you feel to how much your willing to spend on it.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for the replies. in regards to age im pushing 43 and quite understand the smile on the face for the sound, the VR was standard when i got it and i have spent a lot on the engine (currently 212HP) its just i cant justify £1500 for a spray when some git could (and has) smack it. i may just go for a rat look and take the hit on sale.

thanks for the replies.

steve

Could you not make some kind of deal with you doing the prep work on the car. I was quoted over 2k to get my bodywork and paint sorted (full respray). But when I had a word with the guy at a bodyshop (friend of a friend). If I do the prep work myself it only works out about 500. Or failing that try and source parts in your color.

I'm in the same boat as you Saunders, I've not been hit but I ask myself is it worth spending the money on a lower half respray? I like my vr a great deal, but £1500 is a fair lump of money to shell out on a car which is deteriorating elsewhere (chassis etc). I'd try and source a door your colour for now and see what the next mot brings. That's what I'll be doing anyway.

I appreciate what you're saying lukey. I think it's one of those hurdles you shit yourself about jumping but once you've jumped and you're on the other side it'd make you wonder what all the fuss was about in the first place. I fully expect to repaint mine at some stage, just not quite yet. It would be one of those OCD things that her indoors will bollock me for big time!

• 1 month later...

Great post....I've just bought my second VR...last one had a head gasket failure and I still regret not getting it done. The one I just bought cost me £1050 and it's been loved with full history and receipts....done 142k miles, mystic blue, full grey heated leather and air con, coilovers etc etc...

The major bodywork issues are one front wing and front jacking points...few little dents but here's the thing; I love it, I don't want a £27k new Golf (however much) and I fully intend fixing it so it looks brand new...not show car as I drive it daily...nut stage one is wing, blend panels and polish....and within 18 months I intend to have a full paint....I don't care what the book price is and you can always get ab agreed value on your insurance? I'm 44 and I've wanted a nice VR6 for 20 years...If you don't do it you'll regret it....if you do it I promise you will not stop polishing it and going for slow drives near big crowds.