Laying car up for a few months

Hi all.

Due to my upcoming wedding & a few suppliers changing the date when they want paying, the money I had set aside to do the ABS on my Golf has to be used so I'm going to have to lay her up until May.

She's parked in the garage, the battery is dead so I've disconnected that & will remove it from the car for charging.

Is there anything else you recommend doing? She's been stood for 4 weeks now & will be stood for at least another 8..... BLOODY WEDDING!!!!!! :(

Cheers

Jamie 

I wish it was a double garage so I didn't have to take it over to my parents everytime I need to take the wheels off lol
lol I'm in the same boat. Everytime I need to work on the golf I need to go to my folks too. All my tools and everything are there along with a spare engine and half an engine on my work bench

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Yeah, 5yrs ago when I lived at home me & my dad laid a level base 5m x 8m so that I could work on my cars on a flat base. It's behind 7ft gates so it's all private & safe..... The only problem is I now live 7 miles away so I need to use full days when I'm allowed out to play on the car lol

At the moment it's got 3/4 of a Mk3 Golf GTi on axle stands waiting for me to get enough time to cut it up & get it to the scrappy.

Ahh its right pain in the arse having to go to your folks to play lol well when we're allowed lol. Im in the process of trying to sort prices to put a driveway in but also trying to persuade my wife to move somewhere where I can have a garage. Ive told she can have anything she wants house wise aslong as I can have a garage lol

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Ahh its right pain in the arse having to go to your folks to play lol well when we're allowed lol. Im in the process of trying to sort prices to put a driveway in but also trying to persuade my wife to move somewhere where I can have a garage. Ive told she can have anything she wants house wise aslong as I can have a garage lolSent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Haha I am slowly working on my mrs, to date it's gone from no way to a double garage in the back garden now sounds like a good idea, only taken 4 years. Still no work has taken place though.

does anybody think there will be a problem if I leave the battery off for a couple of weeks the re connect it when I want to start it? When i'm using the car weekly the battery stays charged but if I leave it for a few weeks (3-4) then the battery gets drained.... I've already put 2 batteries on & I don't want to have to buy another.

Every time mines been stood for weeks I disconnected the battery, after the first time and the battery died a death. Second battery unhooked very time and it's still 100%. A ring charger from halfords was a good investment too. If it's up for a good while jack it up on axle stands so your tyres are off the ground too.

Edited by Lukey.

You don't need to disconnect the alarm/imobiliser, I think if the car is open or locked as it was when you disconnected then the alarm shouldn't go off, I usually have it locked when I disconnect for no particular reason, i left one of the doors open when I reconnected the battery, that's why the alarm went off so I just disconnected, locked the door and that was fine but then the fob/immobiliser wasnt synced so disconnecting, leaving it for a few minutes with the key in the door and reconnecting sorted that problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For only a few months what you have done is fine - you could get anal and take the weight off the tyres so they don't flat spot by putting the car on axle stands but I wouldn't do that unless I was storing a car for 6 months plus. I have had over 20 Clio 172/182's and most were track based cars so sat up with little use between track days and I have never had an issue with simply doing the basics before a month ir two lay up ( good wash and dry, windows slighly open to aid ventilation etc)

So if you have a garage I'd be cracking open a couple of Windows about an inch and leaving it :)