After a 5 hour drive from Leeds to Plymouth on the bank holiday, just before I get into Plymouth, I'm sure I was clocked doing 80-84mph in a 70mph on the A38 by a chuffin van.

Now I was also in the process of being caught up and overtaken by a Boxster, i'm not sure if the van got me first then the Boxster, got me as I was in view first, or if he just got the Boxster. Whatever the case may be I've either got 3 points or I haven't but I suspect its highly lightly. They hadn't arrived yesterday and I left before the post today (it can take up to a month :( )

So I went out and bought a Road Angel, does anyone else have the New one? I'm just getting used to it and it does seem quite good, bit unsure how well the lazer detection works though.

Any comments?

[ Edited ]

I've got the classic with the laser attachment, and to be honest, i was pretty disgruntled when it didn't pick up the camera van on a bridge on teh M4....unless he wasn't using it at the time perhaps.......

I'm a bit confused as to how it works with mobile gatsos as from what I uderstand its not a detector for radar (only lazer). The blackspot database stores all the known camera sites on it and the GPS on the RoadAngel knows your position in relationship to the cameras.

So how the hell is it going to pick up a mobile gatso camera in a new location? Or a mobile camera at all?

Something I didn't think about when I bought it.

Please advise....

I'm sure they have a laser detector on the new one as it has a sensor front and back. It also relies on everyone to store where ever a new one is so when you update it receives all the new locations. When I came back from heathrow once i picked up mobile sites but nothing was there

Is that 3 independant views then Pete? :-) LOL

I to was down Plymouth at the weekend, went on Sunday though and im sure I didnt spot any camera vans. I think I was sticking to 70 anyway.

Anyway, been toying with getting a Road Angel and I think Halfords have 6 months interest free at the mo and a free Autoglym valet case! May just buy it tomorrow!

Mine is the new one with the lazer detector and it loves going off when I'm by schools! And yes I got it from Halfords with 6 months interest free credit and a lovely free AutoGlym bag worth 40 notes!!

Just a bit concerned about the whole Mobile camera thing.

I arrived in Plymouth at 10.30am on Friday and spotted the camera on the bend just before you turn off the A38 to Marsh Mills roundabout and I think I spotted it too late, Arse!!!!

[ Edited Wed May 04 2005, 08:40PM ]

I asked this question when i got my road angel and the guy at black spot told me that if the van is "working! then the road agel will pick up the laser from it, however, mines never gone off when passing one of the vans, so i'm still none the wiser.

You wont be able to update it untill tomorrow mate. It takes 24 hours to register the serial number then you will be able to update it. It will still work but will not pick up any new cameras from when it was manufactured.

I'm a bit unsure as to if I shouldn't have gone for the new snooper thats £425 in Halfords, that picks up all the radars. %-6

Ok guys - can someone tell me what the point is of these units?

I got two lots of 3 points within a week which cost me £80 in all and a bit extra on my insurance. (5 years ago).

Having 6 points on my license was much better than having some un-reliable shitty bit of electronics stuck to my dash - I NEVER SPEEDED AFTER THIS!!!! Hey presto - no points in the last 5 years!!!

Jules

[ Edited Thu May 05 2005, 10:51PM ]

The point is in the name of the of the company, not only are you pre warned of Gatso's, Truvelo's, DS2's, mobile units favourite hang outs ~:( but also of accident BLACKSPOTS, if like me you drive a lot of miles for your job and in area's your not local to then this info is a good thing to have

the new RA2 is available with or without the laser detector, I run two RA1's, both have the optional laser alert kit fitted, to be honest, if it goes off! then it's too late your knicked! the only way to beat laser is to run a jammer or a set of false plates or to stick to the limit!

Having 6 points on my license was much better than having some un-reliable shitty bit of electronics stuck to my dash - I NEVER SPEEDED AFTER THIS!!!! Hey presto - no points in the last 5 years!!!

Jules

Yes there are some unreliable cheap and nasty bits of sub standard crap available, you get what you pay for, Road angel's are not one of these, they are a well built bit of kit for the money, the company and the back up they provide is first rate (and no I dont work for them) it's that good I bought my parents one, and without causeing a fight, can you honestly say that in 5 yrs you never once broke the speed limit?

Yes - hands up - 100% - I have exceeded the limit on lots of occasions since the points. But certainly not by so much and deff not in such public places as before - like the M1 - which is where I got my 6 points (all in the same week so I didnt know till they all came at once in the post).

You have to understand, that when I got the 6 points, I knew that the next 3 points took me to 9 - at nine points its a court appearance. That shook me up a bit. Never been to court before.

I can honestly say, that I have slowed down since the points. (edit: oh - and I've grown older by years which prob helps me slow down as well...!)

So - still dont see the point of the gadgets. The Police will just change the way they measure your speed and then your device is obsolete.

500 quid versus my 60 - why not just save the 500 and slow down??? Be more alert? Read the road better?

Jules

[ Edited Tue May 10 2005, 12:01AM ]

[ Edited Tue May 10 2005, 12:03AM ]

• 9 months later...

The laser detectors on the road angels are pointless because it will only go off if you are being directly pointed at and by then its too late the officer has already got your speed! Snoopers are a little bit better as they can pick up laser scatter so if the car in front is being targeted it will let you kno but they give out way too many false alarms best just get a road angel and do away with the laser bit, but now days you could buy a Tom Tom sat nav and put the cameras on that so it will do all the road angel can ( warn of fixed cameras) and also navigate you all over the counry all for the same price ( £300 ).

I have an Origin B2, Road Angel's main competitor. It has pretty much the same functionality as the RA2. I got a laser attachment with it, but never bothered fitting it as it is a waste of time (as detailed by vr6madmike above). All the laser module does is tell you you've just been caught. The only reliable advance alerts are the ones from the unit's GPS database.

For detecting fixed cameras, the B2 and RA2 are fantastic.

Just one thing I'm not sure about. Does the RA2 have common mobile van sites in its GPS database? or does it rely on the laser module to pick these up?

I've had a RA2 for a few months now & its saved me 3 or 4 times - twice with mobile handhelds but if theres a car in front of you it wont pick it up as the laser will be hitting that and not the RA. It also depends where abouts the laser is being pointed - if its at your bumper etc you've had it unless you have the additional laser attatched. I dont think they pick up the vans as mine hasnt gone off when I've been past one but Im sure it would have been working as I went past one that was parked on a hill going into Bluewater at xmas! No chance of speeding that day. I find its brilliant for the Specs cameras that are placed on the other side of the road so when u fly round the bend they've pretty much got you unless you know its there. Well worth the money I think.

The road angel is not to good at picking up mobile camera and lazer locations in my experience, we where in my mates r32 doing 48 in a 30 and we got done by a laser gun.. the road angel gave no sign of a warning.... so that was £60 and 3 points for him. :(

The debate rages on and on....

Anybody wanting honest advise just pm me or any questions just pm i make my living by selling the bloody things every day . IN SHORT there is no guarantee of not getting caught by man in van because of the limitations of laser detection. In the main you buy these devices to help slow you down and to protect you against fixed cameras when traveling in areas you are new to. The only full proof device available is your RIGHT FOOT !lol !lol .

If anyones interested i use Origin B2.