Swivelonit's MK 4 VR6T 4 Motion

As I have only posted the pictures of the rear suspension.

Some pictures of the front strut and arb with drop links as modified. FARB has two holes to put the drop link through, I currently have them in the furthest forward hole, we can see how it goes before I start moving things about.

9671596729_61a3609a9f_b.jpg

You can see the ditch finding Autoguard tyre on this picture that came with the wheels I got as an interim set.

9671597651_5e99ca759d_b.jpg

This also shows the back of the FARB you will see how it goes under the driveshaft and attaches to the strut just under the spring, you can just make out on the drop link where I sleeved and welded it.

9674821714_66a0fcb6dc_b.jpg

This shows the back of the FARB you will see how it goes under the driveshaft and attaches to the strut just under the spring, you can just make out on the drop link where I sleeved and welded it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bbbbbbbbbbbb brembo, its the wierd shiver stutter i get when i say things like cccccccccccc carbon ceramic, sssssssss silicon carbide or aaaaaaaaaaaaa akebono

630cc/min and 60lb/hr are the same thing.   You will need to use them on this, as pretty much everything else doesn't fit. We have off the shelf software for these injectors.   We are currently workin

Most awesome words arranged in a sentence award.

Damn thats unfortunate that it broke on you dude was it just an old belt or was it catching somewhere? although l do have the same sensors to reset on my at the moment lol

you might have already said somewhere but how come the steering arm has a cut and weld?

Nex, the auxillary belt was brand new, it had only done 25 miles it was replaced with the alternator, apparently this can happen sometimes? Not convinced myself, I think I might have fitted slightly off on one pulley.

The steering arm wasn't cut, I had to cut the drop link to the anti roll bar, I fitted an R32 front ARB, it has a slight bend up, so with the full length drop link the ARB touched the wishbone, 1" removed and sleeved all fits nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update, I called in to Demon Tweeks today to ask where my wheels are, 6 weeks have passed since I ordered them, I was told that they haven't been made yet!  Order cancelled and an alternative choice made.

New choice Team Dynamics Pro Race 3 in graphite grey, partly because they were in stock and of course because I like them, so out to the tyre fitting bay to have 4 Federal 595 RS-R tyres fitted and this is where the fun began!

Two tyres went onto the rims ok but the other two would not seal on the bead, there is a profile inside the rim that is quite square edged, the tyre has get over this to seat, in the event of a blow out the tyre stays on the rim but it would not seat! 130psi in the tyre to try and pop it on but no chance, we even borrowed a staff members Golf to fit the wheel too and drive it around to get the bead to seat, this did not work either.

So I am at home now, wheels are still in DT, I hope to get them on Saturday morning and I will be fitting bucket seats on Saturday too!

Once I get the wheels on the car I will get some pictures up.

Been to Tweeks this morning, got my laser alignment done and the new wheels fitted, grip is very good in the dry on the way home, ride is firm and I even got 30 mpg from it!

I have spent this afternoon removing rear seats and plastic trim, it is surprising how heavy a back seat is and especially little things like inertia real seatbelts, anyway they are all gone too.

Latest picture of the heavy beast on new wheels.

9852729593_e5db575289_b.jpg

Good work on this, following with interest.

I have the Eibach ARB's on mine and have no clearance issues with the drop links, are you sure yours are meant for the 4motion? Also the photo you posed of the rear ARB looks like its fitted the wrong way around, hence the drop link pointing off at a 45 degree angle.

Interested in how low the GAZ coilovers can go as they are what I was going to get but couldn't find anybody with them on. How much is left on your threads on front/back?

The rear ARB can't fit any other way around, there are allsorts of things in the way, I did a direct replacement of the old one. Might have to check a manual  :o

My front ARB is R32 spec I was told these are the same, I think the shortening of the link was necessary as the bracket on the strut is slightly lower on the GAZ than the OEM.

Here are a few pictures from my day fabricating seat runners and brackets to allow by Buckets seats to be fitted in the Golf, it was a fiddly job and more work has to be done tomorrow as the passenger seat is not fitted yet, I have half fitted my harnesses too, this will be finished tomorrow. 

A trip to Maplin too for some 2 ohm resistors to keep the air bag light off!

Seat out

9985036703_6e5beb22db_b.jpg

Gluing the brackets to the base.

9984821005_cc416ebecc_b.jpg

Eye bolts fitted to the threaded holes where the rear seat belts fitted.

9984966923_375c64416f_b.jpg

9984891566_d73de622b3_b.jpg

Today I have painted and fitted my bucket seat to the home made MK 4 seat runner, I painted it too, this being well out of character for me! Just need some new wheels now for the runners.

I have also been removing all interior carpet, sound deadening and trim, centre console, gear stick gaiter and such like, so lots of paint showing in the car now.

As a result of removing seats, I have had to buy a couple of 2.2 Ω resistors, these will be wired into the car on the white and green cable on the passenger side and white and blue on the drivers side, I have given them a quick try and they work a treat to keep the airbag light off emoticon-0142-happy.gif 

I have also changed the brake fluid today, the shiz that came out was green! So nice new Mobil 800 has gone in now.

So, I was about to start fitting and soldering the resistors and fitting the Black Vue too but it os going dark now!

Pictures to follow.

Airbags are now a ting of the past, resistors wired in and no lights, cables shortened and fuel cap opener moved to one of the blank switches on the dash.

Tar is also removed from the floor and tomorrow passenger side bucket seat will also be finished and fitted, final prep before my track day on Tuesday is to lower the front an inch or so as it is sitting high after the coilovers were put on. Pictures to follow.

Air Bag wiring removed and by passed with a 2.2 ohm 3 watt resistor, this is soldered in between the white and green wire or white and blue wire, the brown wire just gets cut and shortened, I think this is the trigger wire if it were needed.

Did this before I removed the tar off the floor.

10104793286_19fb8d9dd5_b.jpg

Today saw a first target achieved, the whole point of this Golf is to use it on the track, Oulton Park was booked and today saw us arrive a little late, however, out on track we went.

Slightly steady at first as I was aware it was me who had bolted everything together!! I was surprised at how well the car handled, nice turn in, good and flat with little body roll and also a good amount of grip from the Federal 595 RS-R tyres.

The day did not go without a few issues, the first being the ESP that would not leave me alone, when cornering the ESP would try and slow things down and was hampering progress, over lunch the decision was made to pull the fuse for the ABS system, this in turn would disable the ESP and other nanny driver aids. A quick check up the road into Oulton Park with PastyBoy in the car to see if throttle response was effected and of course to see if the brakes still worked, a large number 11 on the road confirmed we had brakes.

Back out on track the car was different animal altogether, fantastic turn in and high cornering speeds, we had a slightly loose back end set up and this seemed to suit the AWD system as a quick flick in on the brakes and a stab on the gas made for some exciting cornering.

We also had an engine management light on, this was a lambda sensor short to ground, so probably melted a cable somewhere, with the engine management light on, traction control light, ABS light and the red brake warning light on the dash looked about ready for Christmas  emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

We managed to cover 180 miles today, from home to the circuit and home again, this was done on a full tank of petrol, cost £80 and the indicated MPG was 12, this is better than I was expecting to be honest.

Before the next session I will need to tweak a few bits and I also want the tracking and camber adjusting, after information from the instructor as to what to do next.

I am sure this car will keep me busy for a few years yet.

Craggsy, I was very concious that I had bolted all the bits to this car when i went out on track for the first time!  I took it steady.

The only setting up I did with the shocks was height and damping, I set fronts and backs to the middle setting and being honest the car performed really well, turn in was good, nice and stable in the higher speed corners and even a wheel off the floor in the tight corners.

I had issue with ESP so pulled the ABS fuse, this made a massive difference so tonight I have coded out ESP from the ABS module and had quick blast around a few roundabouts and no issues.

I would recommend the GAZ shocks as when they are set to soft they are comfortable on the road too.

• 3 weeks later...