Can obd1 handle high bhp turbo

I will be building my vr6 into a turbo. I was just wondering is there a limit to how much an obd1 engine can handle. I will be going with forged pistons and full rebuild etc... Just I have noticed most high spec turbo kits are obd2 only. Any info would be appreciated.

Just to add this will be my first turbo conversion so I'm learning as I go along.

Thanks for the replies will start making my shopping list. What are the best parts to use from what I can gather so far only had a little look into it will be goin for je forged pistons and kinetic turbo manifold the turbo itself I'm not too sure on.

Also I have been told Porsche 4 pot brakes fit the car quite well anyone know which specific model they come off as I will keep an eye out for some.

Raddos are obd1 unless converted if memory serves me right. I have seen plenty of big powered raddos. Although if you are going down the forge piston and rod route, it doesn't really matter as the engine will be built for large power. So it knob da defeats the purpose of the post lol. As it won't be a standard OBD1. IMO

It's not a case of whether OBD1 can handle it or not it's more getting someone to tune it is the problem. Most of the European ones you see are on some sort of standalone.

Also, a coilpack setup is less fickle on late OBD1.

OBD2 is more responsive to tuning but im surprised more people aren't looking towards ME7 setups and get away from chip tuning altogether.

Indeed. Any ECU can manage the full throttle areas but the better the ECU/Software is, the better the part throttle and idle will be.

ME7 - Doesn't matter if you do it over CAN or replace the chip, the problem is still the same. A lack of collective knowledge and relevant tools for DIYers. No one tuner knows everything there is to know about ME7 and those who do know bits of it are extremely guarded. That's why DIY+ people go for standalones for complete autonomy from fickle tuners and actually learn something in the process.