Does anyone know what it is and if it's normal ,it's when i turn the ignition on and it comes from behind the dash, it sounds like the heater fan on low but it's there when the blowers off, i had the stereo out the other day and whatever it is it's at the back of the stereo to the right, sounds like some sort of motor spining but what is it ? anyone ?

Thanks

Bee..

It's not in the engine bay because when i had the stereo out and i put my hand in to the back and right i could feel it vibrating it's like a black plastic (if think) thing, i could just about see the edge of it but not enough to see what it looks like.

Thanks

Bee...

mine does it too, it is the electrical water pump, situated in the head, but the water flow can be felt via vibration through the heater cooling pipe etc. it worried me when i firdst bought the car, but i had a new thermostat fitted (stay cold option from awsome gti) and i havnt heard it since...

What ever it is it's behind the dash , because when i notice it i put my ear to the dash and it sounded like it was coming from the space where the wiper motors are but when you go under the bonnet you can bearly hear it, then when i had the deck out it got way louder that was when i found the black whatever it is and if i touch it when i turn the ignition on i can feel it spining up, it doesn't feel like vibration it feels like it's making the noise, also if it was the secondry water pump it surley it would not start spin from stone cold it would start when the engine warms up a bit.

Thanks

Bee...

listen bee, this question has been asked a million times, listen to the fellow vr6ers, they know. lol.

oh, and the auxiliary water pump runs from the ignition live, ie, whenever you turn on the ignition it runs, not just once the coolant is warm. it runs all the time.