Timing chain? Should i bite the bullett and get it changed?

Hi

Although the timing chains can stretch very slightly (knocks the cam timing off a little) the actual chains are normally reliable and last until the sun explodes.

The tensioner blade on the other hand, is known to wear down by 100k miles, sometimes less, and you dont always get a rattle to indicate its wearing.

If you are proficient with a spanner, within a few hours you can inspect the blade - you just have to remove the inlet manifold and cam cover.

Unfortunately, as you prob know, its a gearbox off task to replace the blade if its badly worn...

Cheers,

Jules

Any tried the solid polymer upper blade with sring loaded/hyrdaulic tensioner bolt as replacements?

I know they're from the very late 12V VRs the Americans got in their MK4s, but the basic dimensions seem to be the same.

I bought a new upper blade the other day, and to be honest, looking at it....I don't want to put it in. Doesn't look like it'll last 5 minutes....but it will, just looks like it won't!. I notice VW have changed the bakelite coloured plethyronic (sp?) coating with some new grey stuff....not sure if it's any better tho.

K

[ Edited Mon Mar 22 2004, 12:46PM ]