Its been nearly a year since I updated my "build" thread and I have done nothing... zip, nada nicht, nil!

But... a visit to Ultimate Dubs has kickstarted my desire to have a nice VR so work will start soon...

I will also be spending more time on the forum getting to know folk!

Gonna get it started after a year idle and check it runs!.. Then I will start stripping it down ready for the big clean up.

Expect loads of "HELP ME" questions...

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got my ass into the garage,,,, cleaned the crap off the top of the VR and started work on stripping the life out of it!!

Was going to clean everything up and get it going but decided I would just crack on with the "BIG" job... might as well start with a full resto.

It will be slow progress as you can see by the gaps of time on the thread posts but I'm gonna make a concerted effort to get things done.

When I first bought the car, the previous owner started a thread on here saying he was having issues with leaking coolant etc.

So... full strip down of the engine bay... see how the land lies and go from there :-(

Few pics of where I got up to today.....

Tight Squeeze in the garage!!

IMG_0967.jpg

More crap at the back of the garage making it hard to work!!

IMG_0968.jpg

Front end in a different place now...

IMG_0966.jpg

What it's looking like now...

IMG_0969.jpg

Coolant drained and looking like gravy!!

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Inlet manifold off and deciding what to do...Polish or detail?

IMG_0971.jpg

Starter looking proper dodgy... :S

IMG_0973.jpg

All other parts looking pretty battered...

IMG_0974.jpg

And the wiring looking cack too... needs checking and shrink wrapping..

IMG_0975.jpg

And that's it for today..

Cheers for looking

Went through all the wiring tonight and labelled it all up to make it easier in the long run...

Just familiarising myself with the layout of the VR6 and its parts and came across this...

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

It sits between the 45 pin connector and the coilpack ... it seems to have a coolant pipe running into the bottom of it and a 2 pin connector on the top...

What is it??

Thanks in advance

Cheers c00k .... Makes sense now what with the coolant pipe running into/from it!! It looks like this may have been the leak issue as the exhaust manifold and back of block are covered in rusty looking residue from a coolant spill.

Nice to see you've started down the loooooooong road' date=' its worth it at the end, and the further down the road you, the longer you can roar back down it when it's finished and tip top again. Good luck

[/quote']

Cheers Lukey...

Looking good mate.. Glad my photo on Facebook gave you some inspiration :)

It's a long long road, but worth it in the end..

With regards to your manifold, I can recommend vapour blasting, leaves a really nice matt finish :) that's what I did then polished the faces of the inlets.

Pete

Looking good mate.. Glad my photo on Facebook gave you some inspiration :)

It's a long long road' date=' but worth it in the end..

With regards to your manifold, I can recommend vapour blasting, leaves a really nice matt finish :) that's what I did then polished the faces of the inlets.

Pete

[/quote']

Cheers for the inspiration and also the advice on the manifold ^o)

Well what can I say.... 3 evenings in a row in front of the VR!!

Tonight was spent removing the following:

Aux Water Pump (Cheers Guys)

Coolant Pipes - (Except pipes to Matrix)

Engine Bay Loom

Drained the rest of the coolant from the bottom of the crack pipe

Then spent the rest of the time reading through the Bentley Manual making sure I know what I'm looking at (And still finding thing I don't know the name of!!)

I also took a look over the ISV and the damper that's connected to it... (broken - Am I right in thinking its OK to delete this?)

Also took a look at the Aux Water Pump and the rubber connectors (Fixes it to engine) - all broken and need replacing!

I then took a few images of the mess that's still in the bay... HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE GET A CLEAN BAY!!

Now for loads of images... I apologise in advance!

Why does the Oil Filter have wires to it?? - For dashboard purposes?

IMG_0999.jpg

This side of the bay looks OK!!

IMG_0991.jpg

The rubber rings that hold the Aux Water Pump in place are proper brittle and broke when being removed... will need replacing (Do they come with the Aux Water Pump when purchased?)

IMG_0988.jpg

Making sure everythig is labelled and ready to be removed..

IMG_0986.jpg

Thermostat housing and connections (Just in case people need a reference)

IMG_1001.jpg

Connector that connects to top of gearbox

IMG_1006.jpg

Here...

IMG_1007.jpg

And finally out and complete... ;)

IMG_1008.jpg

Aux Water Pump...

IMG_1009.jpg

ISV

IMG_1011.jpg

Broken ISV Damper

IMG_1012.jpg

A few pictures of the mess that's still left!!

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

Looking a bit more bare :$

IMG_1016.jpg

What is this that connects to the crack pipe??

IMG_1017.jpg

And are the sensors behind it:

Engine Knock Sensor (behind the coolant thingy top?)

IMG_1028.jpg

Engine Speed Sensor ( behind the coolant thingy bottom?)

IMG_1024.jpg

Corroded Power steering pipe (metal) - Where can replacements be found?

IMG_1033.jpg

And as I left it when i closed the garage door -

IMG_1035.jpg

You have Ben busy mate lol.

You need keep your ISV and damper unless you do a fill obd2 upgrade ;)

The only way get your engine bay looking better is elbow grease and lots of it! Engine degreaser etc.... It will look loads better when you re wrap your loom, you can get cloth loom tape from Audi for a few quid a role, I got through over 5-6 roles doing mine :)

The wires on your oil housing is for high / low oil pressure from memory :)

That PAS pipe is looking a danger... But I've seen these on eBay, not sure if you can get from dealers still?

Cheers for the info Pete...

I did read that the Damper can be deleted on the ISV... but keep the ISV

As soon as I get an engine crane and stand I will get the engine out and start looking at cleaning the bay up... Polish Polish scrub etc..

The power steering lines does look proper dangerous I agree... Time to start calling the breakers..

Onwards and Upwards

Oh and I need a good quality welder to start on the body work soon..! If anybody can point me towards a good welder for decent money

Cheers All :)

The green wire on top of the filter housing that's snapped goes on the back sensor for the MFA oil temperature. The square metal thing with the black plastic cap under the crack pipe is the oil cooler.

The aux pump donuts don't come with the pump, they are different top and bottom too so don't get 2 of the same.

When my engine came to bits everything was covered in thick black oily sludge, it took a wire brush, about 8 rolls of good thick kitchen roll, about 12 hours and about 5 litres of degreaser to get it all cleaned up, it takes ages.

Its more of a 2 way heat exchanger' date=' when cold the coolant will heat up quicker and pass its heat into the oil, when the oil is at 100'C it then passes its excess heat into the coolant.

[/quote']

Clever!!

Still getting myself Au Fait with the ins and outs of the VR6!!.....

I thought that as I will be extending the wiring and re wrapping it all I thought I had better understand whats going on in that maze of spaghetti....

I have the Bentley Manual and it has very good wiring diagrams in the back but I came across this on the headlight wiring diagram that I don't understand..

IMG_1038.jpg

Above the L13, L1, L14 & L2 are the numbers 1/56a & 2/56b...???? What does this mean on a wiring diagram?

And on this diagram we have....

IMG_1039.jpg

1/bl, 3/58 and 2/31???

What do they mean? Is it relay/ fuse positions?

Thanks in advance for any advice

I'm guessing I'm being a bit thick?!

Due to the VR6 having twin bulbs ( 1 x headlight & 1 x full beam) I guess it won't have a relay for the headlights as the Bentley wiring diagram shows..

Is this right?

After getting Cabin fever being stuck in the back of my poky garage I thought today was a good day to give the VR a bit if sun!!

Just a couple of things in my way... 2 very seized rear brakes!

Luckily my neighbour had a big taxi and a length of rope so after tying the two vehicles together it was time to see if the rope would hold.... It did ^o)

So after getting some air in the tyres so I could get a jack under it, I got the wheels off to find this...

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

So after a bit of whacking, WD40 and some brute strength I finally got the pads out:

IMG_1045.jpg

And thought i best to leave them out to make moving the VR easier in future

IMG_1046.jpg

I will replace with new discs, pads and also Mk4 Calipers in the future.

The N/S wasn't much better :(

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

But put the wheels back on and we were rolling with ease... just not the stopping!!

And this is how it sat....

IMG_1050.jpg

Started work on removing the last wires to the engine, starter, vehicle speed sensor, reverse lights connector, knock sensors, earth straps and labelled up the wires for future reference.

IMG_1065.jpg

The battery tray has been removed which has left the power steering fluid reservoir kinda hanging there but I will find a new home for this later.

I also pulled the wiring from just in front of the wiper mechanisms ( in the wiring cover) and as I pulled it out the wrapping cloth just disintegrated!! Which is why all wiring is going to get a new coating of wrap cloth in the future.

I also found these on the O/S front wing area... any ideas what they are for?

IMG_1061.jpg

And I know what the horn is before any quick witted comments :-p

Also this under the wing near the EVAP...

IMG_1059.jpg

And just to finish off... here's a pic if the BAD side... (Needs Sill replacement, Petrol flap recess metal replacement and rear arch...

IMG_1066.jpg

The work continues to mount... but I'm loving it!

Cheers for reading

Silly question.do you chock your wheels an leave handbrake off when u store ur car?

Nope!! ... The car had sat for almost a year with and brake on... And they were retry much seized when I bought it.

The car is now in the garage minus rear pads and a cylinder head from an aircooled split camper unde the rear wheel!

Good luck with the project mate.

Did you ever get it started?

One thing I noticed in the video is no RPM reading while cranking. I'd say you need a crank position sensor, just in case you get it all back together and it won't start!

Good luck with the project mate.

Did you ever get it started?

One thing I noticed in the video is no RPM reading while cranking. I'd say you need a crank position sensor' date=' just in case you get it all back together and it won't start!

[/quote']

Cheers dude...

Never got it started!! Only through lack of trying in the end! Just sat on the garage gathering cobwebs...

After having a good look I decided it best to strip down and replace/refurb everything - should've ok then ( fingers crossed)