Does removing the cat make much difference.

i am currently in the progress of refiting my miltek system on to my new highline and was wondering if removing my cat will make much difference. if so where is the best place to purchase a cat bypass pipe and for how much as the bypass pipe on my old vr6 looks pretty stuck on?

Ive got a Janspeed full SS exhaust with a cat replacement pipe. On the motorway it doesnt drone at all. When its fully warmed up i think it sounds lovely but some might think its too loud. The tone does alter- the exhaust doesnt seem to hum - it a nice burble. It hard to explain a sound- would post a vid clip of me caning it but ive only got 56k dialup and it would take about a week!!! lol

having been in fabio's de-catted vr6 it would piss me off, it is very noticeable compared to my o.e. exhaust. i just don't think its worth it anyway, you're only gonna gain a few bhp, its just not worth the hassle of putting it on every year for MOT.

I was advised against getting a cat bypass by my local VW tuner, bearing in mind I'd have paid him to supply and fit it, I took his advice and didn't bother. I prefer a quiet exhaust anyway, engine note is the most important thing.

I was at the garage today when we took the cat off - we started it up to see what it sounds like without an exhaust :@ It almost deafened me! When it starts it really bursts into life like: BANG!!! Then a loud burble - far tooooo loud to drive! Looked at my cat - looks really restrictive inside - get the car back on Sat so I'll let you know what differences there are 8)

Hi Warren - Im taking it off and having a pipe made to replace it - after the cat theres a VW silencer and after that its all Sebring but I might change that later on when I've looked at whats available but Im not going to look right now because as soon as I look at something I end up buying it & Im skint!

[ Edited Thu Mar 17 2005, 10:55PM ]

Alright buddy :-) So is the sebring a 3 piece or 2 piece exhaust - ie have you just the backbox, or backbox and centre section? (Ive had 3 different SS exhausts now and 1 has been a 2 piece and the others 3 piece) Seems strange you bought just the two bits seperately, unless you bought it cheap ;-)

The Sebring was on the car when I bought it - my whole system comprises of The Cat (which is gone now) small VW Silencer then a Sebring box & the Sebring backbox - I'll see what its like, I wouldnt mind changing it to a full stainless system but will leave it for now :0)