Exhaust and Induction

Guest simonc

Hi Guys

Very soon I will be needing a new back box for my golf vr6. I am looking at slapping on an induction kit at the same time and need some advice.

Which exhaust should i go for to get the best note out the back of the car. I have been advised that Magnex do some good backboxes but does anyone else have any suggestions.

Also what kind of power increase can i expect from an induction kit, which are best, and are they worth the bother?

Would appreciate any advice/views people have.

Simon

The exhaust makes sod all difference to your power, so just go to a well-known name (magnex are one, so are powerflow, remus, scorpion and proably about half a dozen others) and get one that looks good. They all sound good when attached to a VR6 - they all sound different too but there's no way of describing that on here.

Same goes for the induction kit really, most will bring you a slight power increase. K&N, RamAir and BMC seem to be popular. All sound great. I found the RamAir louder than my K&N, but have heard others say the opposite, I guess like always it's personal, or maybe it just depends on the car.

Just get the ones that take your fancy within your budget. Whatever you get will be a good start and once you've got them, you can think about taking out a second mortgage and making some serious mods.

Oh, and welcome, by the way!

like nick said its about taste & budget... imo the best sound comes from the induction kit if you get an exhaust thats too loud it will drown it out... my powerflow is a bit too boomy sometimes... BMC & supersprint is a good combination

Ok, i have a ram-air which is good, but it seems to have got much quieter since i fitted a cold air feed, has anyone else noticed this?

I have a supersprint exhaust, which is excellent. I replaced both silencers from the cat back and it gives a really sporty tone. I had a Peco back box before which was a piece of shit and people laughed at me.

good thorough review of Peco there :P

I was looking forward to getting a stainless system on my VR but the previous owner put a brand new VW system on the car the week before he sold it to me... nice of him!

So, rather than waste the whole thing, I think I will just go for a backbox too.

When I had my Mk3 16v, I fitted a REMUS backbox and found that the fit on it was shit! I replaced it with a MILTEK system and it was so much better - no knocks or rattles.

Turns out that the MILTEK has a flattened neck were it crosses over the rear axle, whereas the REMUS is rounded all the way, and this causes it to knock going over bumps - verry annoying!!! %-6

i found the magnex on my fiesta turbo a little resrictive and quiet. Good thing because my neighbours are a nightmare and the engine/turbo was very load that made up for it. Would definately last for the lifetime of the car.

Powerflow are usually very load even on idle and yes even when u ask them to make it very quiet. As seen on my friends mk1 scirocco storm and my friends mk3 1.8 driver :@ .