yea takeing the front off would help alot,if you got the time, when i did mine there was no room if i didnt have small hands theres no way idd be able to change them seals witout taken the front off,dont know how much room you got on a golf but im guessing not much?,if you can check them seals again {remove oil cooler and re seat seals if nessacery} without removeing the front then idd do that first.

heres a pic of that bolt and its old seal when i did them for sh1ts and giggles, oil on that seal would deffo help to stop it twisting as you tighten it up,btw i dont know how you get your oil? but if your not getting discount on it go to auto elec and just ask for cash trade on it. oilcoolerboltandseal.jpg

yea thats what they were like,hard as fook!, the only time mine leaked though was if the car was faceing down hill or i had the back end jacked up, i was doing an oil change so i just thought xxxx it! lets get stuck in,did the knock seals aswell,added ptfe tape for good measure, i dont like leaks.oilleak.jpg

oilcoolernknocksensorhole.jpg

nicenewfiltervsold.jpg

these are the front seals , left is old one and right is new. the new one is slighty different ie without a lip - could this be why ? when i put it inside the recess the new one has a slight gap but old one is snug fit. it only leaked after these had been changed i think

1308032834_12192_FT439326_img_8241_.jpg

I know you are probably fed up with it now but it is worth taking it all apart, making sure everything is really clean and take a couple of photo's before trying it all together again. Shame you are over the water or we could help more.

these are the front seals ' date=' left is old one and right is new. the new one is slighty different ie without a lip - could this be why ? when i put it inside the recess the new one has a slight gap but old one is snug fit. it only leaked after these had been changed i think

1308032834_12192_FT439326_img_8241_.jpg

The gasket shouldn't have a lip. Is it a genuine gasket and seal you've bought from VW or one from a local motor factors?