So I bought a VR6 Golf on Saturday, drove it home and fell in love with it, it's so fun to drive, only problem is, that very same day the engine decided to break on me.. broke my fucking heart.

The AA mechanic that came out to tow me home said, the oil pump must have become blocked as when I checked the oil it looked really low, but then when he checked it an hour later it was full of oil, so due to the low oil pressure, I think he said something like the big end bearings became loose and were smashing against the crankshaft or something like that... I can't really remember due to the fact I was so angry and upset, but I think that's what happened..

So basically I just really need some advice on what to do right now, I don't know whether to get myself a second hand engine and pay a friend of mine who's a really good mechanic to fit it, or to go through a proper company and recondition the engine, and rebuild the bottom of it. I don't really know much about engines but I'm guessing what needs to be fixed is the crankshaft and the big end, maybe the oil pump, I'm not sure what is everyones thoughts on this? I just wanna get my VR6 back on the road before my 21st birthday :'( I miss it so much!!

How much do you want to spend secondhand engine can be had for around £300 it you can spens £1000 on a rebuild that you will know will last and could even add a headspacer so you could supercharge it. Every cloud has a silver linning.

yeah I was thinkin about getting a second hand engine, I found one pretty cheap its 350 quid delivered with 81000 on the clock, is that a suspicious price? I don't really know how much the engine is worth, but if I can pick one up for that amount and get my mate to fit it I'll be laughing, just can't wait to get my baby back on the road

thats cool then not too much at all, i was just kinda worried about buying an engine from someone at that price, cos when its not in the car i cant test it you know what i mean? if i was a mechanic yeah i'd go have a look at it but i dunno whether to just get this one and whack it in my car because if theres anything wrong with it im screwed lol. might just be better off spending the extra and getting a rebuild, does anyone know a good place for getting rebuilds? any websites or anything like that?

if the engines from a breakers, take a friend whos in know with engines / vr6s in general to see if theres any suspicious signs, i know that only tells half the story, but. could save you a tad of money :) in my eyes it would be better to get a new engine though, if its the same model engine youll get it in within a day!

Yeah id love to get a new engine but its so expensive i have found a company that are breaking a vr6 and selling the engine for 200 with a 4 week warantee so ill probably get that and get it delivered to my mates workshop and get gim to check it over and if its not up to scratch i can get a refund. but if its fine im sorted. hope i get this sorted soon i went from a 1.3 fiesta which was falling to bits to this gorgeous incredible machine which scared the shit out of me and i want it back I was addicted after the first 30 seconds of driving it! haha

you wait till you get a ride in a turbo`d or supercharged vr6 then mate lol

Yeah I'm gona turbo mine up next year, that's the whole reason I bought my VR6. I've not been in any fast cars at all, been in things like Fiesta ST's Focus ST's and that kinda shit, but never in something as fast as that, tbh my VR6 is the fastest car I've ever been in, and when I slap a turbo in the engine I'm gona cry just the sound alone is amazing I really can't imagine how powerful this car is gona be with a turbo. How much does it cost roughly to install a turbo including all the parts? Best price I found was £2500

Check out Jim Potter's turbo build thread. He managed to do one for under £1000, but he's a genius when it comes to making things fit! You can spend as much as you want for turbo's.. My bill so far is at least £1500 - £2000 and i'm still no where near fitting. I believe Jim can also supply a kit now, but not sure how much these are.

Also on a note about the engine you're replacing old one with, while the engine is out, I'd very much advise you to get the timing chains changed. Not sure if you know (I was unsure myself when I bought mine) the chains are gearbox side, so once it's in place, you can't just take the covers off and stick a new one on! A pretty major job if they start to rattle once the new one's in.

The premium member section has a lot of 'How To' guides inc timing chains so maybe worth a look into that. Doesn't cost much but you'll get discounts plus a sexy VR6OC window sticker :D

Awesome I'll check out the thread, and thanks for the advice I'll definitely get that done if it's something important, is it an expensive thing to get done? I'm not really too bothered about the cost if it's that important as I want this car to last me years and years. Yeah I was definitely going to get a premium membership, was thinking about waiting until my car is actually on the road again, but I guess if I get that I'll be able to find a few parts at discount price while I'm fixing it up ;) was thinking about an induction kit maybe a new exhaust, and definitely a resonator delete as I live only 2 miles from my work so I'm really not bothered about petrol costs in the slightest so anything to make the car louder and meaner is a definite must have for me! :)

gutted m8 thats realy unlucky,when i brought my corrado i could of easily of been in the same situation except i had to be at weymouth the next morning to get a ferry to the channel islands,{no tax no mot and hadnt been driven properly for over a year, probably a stupid choice?} but it payed off! and yea the VR6 is very addictive! lol my old mk4 2.0 golf is like a slug in comparison,what ever route you choose recon engine or second hand i hope it works out for you, stick with it!

The timing chains are pretty simple to do and you can buy them as a kit. 2 chains, 2 tensioners and 2 guides. Please note that there are 2 types of engine though. The early engine which is OBD1 has a twin top chain, and the OBD2 has a single chain. The guides etc for the top are different too. I can't remember how much mine was, but there are a few floating about if you google it. And again, with the engine out, if you want somebody else to fit them it'll be much easier and cheaper than if you have to start dropping drive shafts out and gearboxes off etc.

As for your modifications, if you're not going down the turbo route just yet. I'd personally recommend you look into a Raceland 6 Branch Exhaust Manifold. Combined with an exhaust such as a Miltek and you've got a lovely sounding car, but also I noticable difference in performance. Your induction you can choose. I currently have a standard filter and standard air box. I like the noise it gives, seems more effortless when over 2500rpm. You can either 'swiss cheese' you're lower air box to help with air flow and noise, combined with a panel filter would be good. Or you could go to the extreme with a £200 BMC CDA carbon air filter. One thing I wouldn't personally do is just put a cone filter straight onto the air flow meter, and when it gets warm the heat soak is unbearable. Especially coming up to summer now!

I've got OBD2, I'll google the kits see what I can find, I might just mention it to my mechanic he might be able to get the parts I dunno but it's something I will talk to him about.

Nah not going to get a turbo for a while yet, still need to get used to how powerful this car is after driving my piece-o-shit Fiesta, so turbo probably wouldn't be the best idea right now haha. What does changing the exhaust manifold actually do is it essential if I'm getting an aftermarket exhaust? I was looking at Remus for an exhaust as they sound really nice especially with a resonator delete, I pretty much want my car to sound like it's kitted out for a rally, was also looking at Pipercross for the induction kit as they aren't too expensive and seem to sound pretty decent. The car sounds good as it is but seeing as it's all stock I really want to mess about with it because at the moment it literally just sounds like a really powerful engine revving not anything amazing.

gutted m8 thats realy unlucky' date='when i brought my corrado i could of easily of been in the same situation except i had to be at weymouth the next morning to get a ferry to the channel islands,{no tax no mot and hadnt been driven properly for over a year, probably a stupid choice?} but it payed off! and yea the VR6 is very addictive! lol my old mk4 2.0 golf is like a slug in comparison,what ever route you choose recon engine or second hand i hope it works out for you, stick with it!

[/quote']

Yeah I'm sure it'll work out don't worry I'll be keeping my VR for a long long time! :)