I have just had a look through all of the threads in this section and can't see this so thought i would ask.

If you have a bold/low tread tyre, do you have to replace both tyres on that axle?

Also if you put 2 new tyres on one axle. Do the tyres on the other axle need replacing?

I know on older 4x4s you had to replace both tyres on one axle, so thought i would ask as it saves knackering the diffs up to find out myself 8-)

Thankyou

I have just had a look through all of the threads in this section and can't see this so thought i would ask.

If you have a bold/low tread tyre' date=' do you have to replace both tyres on that axle?

Also if you put 2 new tyres on one axle. Do the tyres on the other axle need replacing?

I know on older 4x4s you had to replace both tyres on one axle, so thought i would ask as it saves knackering the diffs up to find out myself 8-)

Thankyou

[/quote']

If its any type of AWD, you really should replace all 4, because even the smallest difference in tread height effectively means you've got wheels turning at different speeds, which heats up the diff beyond normal operating temp, and eventually it explodes!..ish lol. If its just 2wd, it isn't necessarily too bad as far as wear n tear goes, but it can affect the way it drives on long stretches of road...it will pull to the side with the newer tire, and make it feel like you need an alignment. And obviously, it can make handling in rainy weather a bit tricky. But other than that if you're in a pinch I wouldn't worry about it.

The 4mo is is fwd with an electronically controlled clutch that operates as required to engage 4wd. Because of this I would and have changed tyres in pairs on the same axle but not found it necessary to change all 4 at the same time. Another concern though is that different radius' on front and back will trick the Haldex into constantly engageing the 4wd.

I personally have only changed tyres in pairs on my 4mo and nothing has "blown" up.

The 4mo is is fwd with an electronically controlled clutch that operates as required to engage 4wd. Because of this I would and have changed tyres in pairs on the same axle but not found it necessary to change all 4 at the same time. Another concern though is that different radius' on front and back will trick the Haldex into constantly engageing the 4wd.

I personally have only changed tyres in pairs on my 4mo and nothing has "blown" up.

I think this is the way forward :-p

I always replace in pairs, from the 4 mo to my old scrappy mk3 gti, to the bmw, i dont have an explanation as to why its just common sense to me :) and tbh, a budget tyre is pretty cheap anyway. A pair of wanli for the bmw to smoke up were £80 fitted granted they were only 15's.

That is the only reason why my engine blew up, gotta be. If id done all 4 she would have been fine :)

That is the only reason why my engine blew up' date=' gotta be. If id done all 4 she would have been fine :)

[/quote']

Seriously? Or are you joking?

Hi, guys. I have a Bora v6 4motion and need new tyres and after reading the posts I'm a little worried as I have just canged the rear passanger.

However I have now deceided to change all for. I have used a company called Camskill before and they are have to be the cheapest in the UK. Anyway what I was wanting to know is can you guys recomend any tyers as I'm new to this whole 4motion thing?

Any help would be great.*-)

I've been usig P6000's for the past year and although i've heard some scarey stories about them i've had no problems and they've worked well. I am however, just about to change to Toyo Proxes T1R's as I've heard good things and i'm keen to see if there is an improvement. I'll let you know how I get on.

I guess the reason why I usually say just do all 4 if you can is exactly what you mentioned about tricking the Haldex into engaging 4wd, I've seen a few of them fail prematurely (ok maybe "blow up" was a bit strong lol it just sounds funny to say!) because the clutch is constantly engaging and disengaging, and creating quite a lot of heat, and wear and tear..not saying that they all do, and those situations are usually created because the owner has vastly differing tread heights on his tyres, just in my experience it happens more frequently, and replacing 4motion parts is never a cheap endeavor! You'd probably be fine with two tyres, I guess I just always err on the side of caution. Having run a repair shop, I tend to only remember the nightmarish stories haha