High mileage

Hey everyone, I'm considering buying a corrado VR6 in the near future and have seen that most have high mileage and i know its to be expected with a car of it age but i was wondering if i should be put off by this?

I dont really know too much mechanically so i have no idea,

cheers.

Milege isnt reallt an issue providing u have history which helps to prove it has been maintained regularly.

Its not uncommon for vrs to be in the mid to late 100k's my vr turbo is on 170k and doesnt miss a beat, the vento is on 153k and purs, and even the early vr with no history and 130k sounds and starts as it should.

Chains can be noisy and shuld be changed around the 100k region.

Speak with tonyvr6 who my even be able to have a look for a small fee..

I wouldn't stress much about mileage, as said previously, documented history is more important.

Also, you will have a good feel from driving it. If you drive in and think ' wow, this doesn't feel like it's got mega miles' and it's backed up by history, chances are it's been well looked after and will carry on going. IF you get it it and the car has that tired feeling, maybe avoid. Lots of well maintained high milers out there for a song.

I'm not on 165k and just about to fit LPG. I'm confident she will go well above 200k.

my brothers had 3 vr6s all with varying mileages from his first at 80k to his second at 125k and down to his latest on 56k and there was little to choose between them engine wise.My Corrado has 135k but drives sweet as a nut.Just going through the pile of history I got with it just now but I would go from my initial drive as the mk3 VR I looked at the week before I got my corrado was an absolute hound,105k mulberry highline with concept leather,chronic gearbox,ghetto waterpump that would run for 10minutes everytime it was switched off. Less miles is no guarantee of soundness. Take a chance and have a run in it

To be honest mate - i brought my golf at a cracking price with very little history. In a year the only thing I have done to it is a full service (leads plugs filters etc) and a heater matrix. The head gasket is leaking so thats next on the agenda. Brought an N reg obd2 with 144k on the clock and its no 153k and its running better after 150k. Previous to this I had a mk3 gti which I brought with 155k on the clock full documented history and got rid of that at 181k because it was giving me grief. The bigger VR engines so long as they are maintained are not very stressed therefore should go to extremely high mileages. There is guy on you tube who clocked 300000 kilometres on his vr somewhere in europe. The clock the reset back to zero. That should be an indication of how good these cars really are.

• 2 months later...

as with most its not the millage that kills the car its the way its treated.

if a car has well documented history with plenty of parts replaced then you cant really go wrong.

plus its always worth remembering that a whole engine can be replaced for not a huge amount of money if the rest of the car drives well

• 3 weeks later...

I am scared to death by mileage, either someone else has recently spent lots of money or it needs it at some point not too far in the future !!!

Or maybe i worry too much ?

I've had company cars ( except for a 5 series beemer with 250,000 miles on her that ran like a dream until the day i took to the scrappers )