snapped timing chain pics

ok....this is why you wanna change your timing chains at around 100k. these are form a '96 highline that had 108k on it, the only omitigating circumstance is that the car hadn't been used for 6 months and was suddenly thrown into everyday use. but even so i suspect the damage was only sped up by that. what happened was the lower chain runner wore through completely so the chain was running on the studs...this then snapped the chain.

remains of the bottom runner -

P1010008.jpg

the studs (you can see where the chain wore them away) -

P1010003.jpg

the lower cover (you can see where the chain was rubbing on it) -

P1010004.jpg

the chain (one of the links has fallen off, it was actually snapped in the centre of a link) -

P1010006.jpg

and there was some wear on the top runners, this one is the only runner that can be changed without gearbox removal (apart from the snapped motuning bit its what i'd call average wear) -

P1010009.jpg

and the top 'blade runner' (is how most will be after 120k, mines wasn't quite so bad...this one is a tad above average, but the one of mine had the rivets worn through at one end) -

P1010005.jpg

[ Edited ]

just to ad, there was no rattling or warning...the only thing that did happen was the car lost power a day or so before, i guess the chai may have jumped a tooth at that point.

the damage to engine was very little (lucky), it bent four valves.

yep...vw's line is that the chains never need touching! lmao!

this vr6 did not tick or rattle at all before failing...it was totally out the blue, and was whilst the car was being driven very slowly at low revs!

its hard to know the exact condition of the lower runners, but you can check on the condition of the top runners fairly easily...remove the upper inlet manifold, then cam cover...see if you can see them and if you need more visibility take the bolt tensioner out the back of the top chain cover, then remove the coil pack and additional water pump then remove the top cover.

that should tell you all you need to know and at 160k i'd expect the top blade runner (bottom pic) to be worse than the one pictured.

my logic tells me that if the cars been really looked after and had high quality oil in all its life then there will be less wear.

thanks for the kind words pete...i'm not a mechanic, i don't even know much about other cars, but my vr6 has forced me to learn a lot of stuff. i wish i'd got this good advice when i got mine (in fact this site didn't exist), all i got told was that the timing chains never needed touching, and that vr6's never break. has not turned out like that, but at least i can pass on what i've learnt and that gives me pleasure.

a mates just bought a vr6, sometime in the next week we're gonna check on the chain, so i'll try and do a pic guide if i can.

• 3 years later...