BMW 328i Sports coupe [E36]

my options when i got the vr6 were either the vr or a e36 328...performance was very similar, bmw would prob have been more fun....but it just felt too old (despite being the same year as my vr6), and thats what made up my mind. i suspect the later e36's are more modern...it was mainly the dials on the k plate one i drove, they were very '80's if you get what i mean.

[ Edited Wed Jan 12 2005, 03:12PM ]

328i and VR where my options when I bought my car. I drove various VR's and 328i's and eventually plumped for the VR, and not looked back.

Last year I had an S-reg M3 EVO Conv. and was all set to sell the VR, but in the end I actually prefered the VR to use everyday than I did the BM so stuck with the VR and passed the M3 on!

Rwd was a lot of fun, but just found a sorted VR a better and more subtle package than the BM.

That speaks volumes m8- M3 evo's are really nice cars too- proper drivers cars and very fast. ACF8181 I know what you mean about feeling old- they do look very dated inside compared to the golf which is surprising..... The golf VR6 still manages to look fresh with a nice set of wheels and a subtle drop. Couldnt say that for most japanes cars or fords, vauxhalls etc........

The E36 coupe is looking well dated now, inside and out, although the 328i and M3 are a hoot to drive. M3 Evo is the perfect low-cost part-time trackday rocket.

Be warned that servicing costs are high. Everything bar the cigarette lighter has it's own ECU...

Avoid the E36 convertible like the plague. They may look nice, but if that power hood goes wrong, it's a £1500 bill.

And E36s are a target for clockers, so watch out for that one too.

There is very little difference in appearance between the early and late models. Bumpers are full colour coded (rather than 1/2 colour coded), and the aircon is electronic (using buttons) rather than manual (using dials). Later models also have white indicators front & rear (rather than orange) and a centre stop light, but I think that's about it.

[ Edited Wed Jan 12 2005, 06:23PM ]

The E36 coupe is looking well dated now' date=' inside and out, although the 328i and M3 are a hoot to drive. M3 Evo is the perfect low-cost part-time trackday rocket.

Be warned that servicing costs are high. Everything bar the cigarette lighter has it's own ECU...

Avoid the E36 convertible like the plague. They may look nice, but if that power hood goes wrong, it's a £1500 bill.

And E36s are a target for clockers, so watch out for that one too.

There is very little difference in appearance between the early and late models. Bumpers are full colour coded (rather than 1/2 colour coded), and the aircon is electronic (using buttons) rather than manual (using dials). Later models also have white indicators front & rear (rather than orange) and a centre stop light, but I think that's about it.

[/quote']

what about the interior? they must've changed the dials on latter cars surely?

hmmm..... i really dont know what to do, i guess if the deal goes through i might consider it, i must admit i have been in a standard one and the guy put his foot down, BLOODY hell does the car move and it feels smooth as anything, gota rate the overall drive,

still got time to think though and i appreciate all the responses

cheers - keep em coming

certainly books in at a higher value i.e. VR6 1995 N reg book approx 3300 and the bmw same year/mileage books in at 5700,

obviously the bmw would not hold sentimental value like my VR does but i am getting married in july and might be an idea to get hold of a car that will hold more value and sellability in the long run

Well, you pays your money and takes your choice. Back in its day, the E36 won every industry award going. They are, by anyone's standards, good cars.

But having owned a 325i Convertible and a VR6, I know which I'd rather have. But then, I'm a hot hatch addict...

If it's resale value you're after, make sure you get a fully loaded one, i.e. electronic air con, leather, M-Tec suspension, metallic paint etc.

I test drove quite a few E36s when I bought my convertible, and the dashboard and clocks were definitely the same on early and later cars, except for the electronic air con panel. The trip computer looks really 80's, but it is genuinely useful!

[ Edited Thu Jan 13 2005, 11:52AM ]

328is are quick mind (193 BHP standard) and 0-60 7.1 secs

don't think you can claim that that is quick when you're on a vr6 forum....its just normal to all of us! hehe

hehe true

i had a traffic light derby witgh a new 330 and we were identical right upto 100mph when we backed off so i would assume real world a vr is a little quicker than a 325