basicly the problem is when the motor is on idle it feels like it is miss firing ! when you go to put your foot down you have a delay in power then it feels like something has cleared then the power comes back ! it also at time back fires i done a code check it said:

553 mass air flow sensor g70

513 engine speed sensor g28

so what i done was changed the mas air flow sensor ! still the problem is there ! im woundering if it is the lamber sensor as i ve put a de-cat on ? any idea ?? please ! thanks

could be the coil pack.. if its obd2? have a look under the bonnet at night and see if its arching..also look for any obvious cracks etc..but try to eliminate the cheaper options first as a cheapo coil pack will set u back close to 100 off ebay

my thermostat went and whilst changing it i noticed one of the terminals on the coil pack was oxidised. mine also had cracks in it but only recall it mis-firing the once so i guesss it was starting to go. it was also jumpy once coming to idle at junctions. replaced leads plugs and coil pack and problem solved..just going from my experience though

yea pete is right if its not runnin you will get that fault on an Obd1. Are you obd1 or 2? Still could be the coilpack....if there are cracks then could be shot. Spray a mist of water from a squrty bottle or somethin while its running at night and if you can see sparks than it will need replacing. What maf did you get brand new?

I had a similar problem mate, I also couldn’t see any arching from the coil. So l check and changed all the normal bits plugs, leads, fuel filter encase it was a bit clogged ect.. and no luck so l got a coil as a last attempt and it sorted it and it only had one or two tiny hairlines in it:) so don’t go by the arching to much, if it is cracked l would advise changing it :)

I had this problem after I did my conversion from 8v gti to vr6 I thought it was just the way it ran but it turned out that the coil pack had broken down inside and was intermittent but it gradually got worse so I took the leads off one by one and turned out 1&6 were dead. New coil pack and safe to say I litterally scared myself with how well it pulled haha. A quick way I learned to check the maf was put it on backwards if it carries on running fine then a new maf it is. If it runs really lumpy then it's working. That's what I did also when was the air filter changed? The k&n that came with the car was half my running problems due to it being full of road gunk and restricting air flow. Hope this helps. :)

cheers people for the help i just taken my coil pack off there is about 3 cracks in the thing and it rattles aswell not good sign lol i found one on ebay for 68 pounds new so not bad price the air filter i got is a pipercross which i ceaned up not that long ago ! but i will just have to wait and see if it, is the coil pack or not !!!